Residence Permit in Egypt

Every foreigner, including refugees and asylum-seekers, staying in the Arab Republic of Egypt is obliged to have a valid residence permit. Without a valid residence permit, s/he would be staying illegally in the country, which is punishable under Egyptian law. Therefore, you are advised not only to obtain your residence permit after registration with UNHCR but also to renew it when it expires.

In order to obtain a residence permit card, please follow these instructions:

  1. Call UNHCR’s Infoline one week after your registration interview to know your MFA letter’s reference number.
  2. You should approach the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), located at Corniche El Nil, 21 days after receiving your UNHCR Registration card. Proceed to the Department of Refugees, located at the back gate of the ministry, where you will be submitting a copy of your UNHCR card. MFA window operates on Sundays and Tuesdays of every week.
  3. You must go to the Communications office of  the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya 21 days after submitting a copy of your UNHCR card to MFA (the previous step). You must provide the reference number issued By UNHCR to the Communications office and accordingly you will be provided with a submission appointment.
  4. On the day of your appointment, please approach the Residence Office in Abbasiya, where you will be asked to submit all necessary documents, including the residence permit application form. Together with your family members, you will also be asked to have your photos and fingerprints taken. You will then be given an appointment to receive the residence permit card.
  5. Please return on the given appointment  to the residency granting office at the Residence Unit of the Passports and Immigration Administration, where you will obtain the residence permit card issued by the Egyptian government.
  6. The residence permit is issued only at the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya. You must go there in person to complete all procedures regardless of your place of residence in Egypt.

For residence permit renewal please follow the steps from 2-6.

What documents should I bring?

  1. All UNHCR registration cards of the family members and dependents registered with you in Egypt.
  2. Original passport of the family members and dependents registered with you in Egypt.
  3. Copies of both your UNHCR registration document(s) and your passport(s).
  4. The reference number which you obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  5. Two passport-sized photos of yourself. Photos of your dependents are not needed unless they are 12 years old and above and were issued a separate UNHCR documentation card.

Do I have to pay any fees to obtain the residence card?

Yes, you will be required to pay processing fees of the residency permit card of EGP 100 at the bank located at the premises while presenting your application to the Residence Unit.

How can I reach the Passport and Immigration Administration?

The headquarters of the administration is located at 417 Ramses Street in Abbasiya, which is easy to reach by public transport by following these instructions:

For refugees living in Greater Cairo:

Cairo Metro: The nearest station to the new headquarters is Abbasiya Station (Green Line; Imbaba – Airport). After exiting the metro station, the Administration will be a five-minute-walk away.

For refugees residing in other governorates:

Ramses Train Station: You can take the train/public transport from any governorate to Ramses station. When you arrive at the station, go to Al Shohadaa metro station and get off at Ataba metro station where you will change to the green metro line (Imbaba – Airport) and get off at Abbasiya station. After exiting the metro station, the Administration will be a five-minute-walk away

Related information

Birth Certificates for Newborns