Every foreigner, including refugees and asylum-seekers, staying in the Arab Republic of Egypt is obliged to have a valid residence permit. Without a valid residence permit, s/he would be violating the residency law in the country, which is punishable under Egyptian law. Therefore, you are advised not only to obtain your residence permit after registration with UNHCR but also to renew it when it expires.
In order to obtain or renew the residence permit, please follow these instructions:
- As communicated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), starting 1st of July, the numbers for the residency processing will no longer be issued at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).Refugees and asylum seekers who are scheduled to renew or obtain their UNHCR cards at UNHCR Offices, can pick up the (MFA) number for residency processing during their interview at UNHCR Offices, along with an appointment date to approach the Communications Office of the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya.
For those who have a valid UNHCR card, the MFA reference number and the appointment date before the Communications Office of the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya could be obtained from Caritas Egypt – at their following offices:
- October City: Building 48/8 – 8th district, 2nd proximity
Daily except Saturday and Sunday: 8:30 to 15:30
• Nasr City: 30 Sibaway St. off Anwar El Mofty St.- Behind Nasr City Traffic center
Daily except Saturday and Sunday: 8:30 to 15:30
• Alexandria: 26 Talaat Numaan Street, Mahatet El Raml, Third Floor
Daily except Friday & Sunday: 15:30 to 20:30
• Damietta: 21/81, 1St Neighborhood, 1St District, in front of The Tourism and Hotels Institute, New Damietta
Daily except Friday & Saturday: 14:30 to 19:30
Please note that you must bring your valid card to Caritas Offices. Additionally, please ensure that your card is valid for at least one month on the date of the appointment with the Communications Office of the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya.
- Please approach the Communications Office of the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya on the appointment date received along the MFA reference number. You must provide the reference number issued by UNHCR or Caritas to the Communications Office and accordingly you will be provided with appointment for lodging the residence application.
- On the day of your appointment, please approach the Residence Office in Abbasiya, where you will be asked to submit all necessary documents, including the residence permit application form. Together with your family members, you will also be asked to have your photos and fingerprints taken. You will then be given an appointment to receive the residence permit card.
- Please return on the given appointment to the residency granting office at the Residence Unit of the Passports and Immigration Administration, where you will obtain the residence permit card issued by the Egyptian government.
- The residence permit is issued only at the Passports and Immigration Administration in Abbasiya. You must go there in person to complete all procedures regardless of your place of residence in Egypt.
What documents should I bring?
- All UNHCR registration cards of the family members and dependents registered with you in Egypt.
- Original passport of the family members and dependents registered with you in Egypt.
- Copies of both your UNHCR registration document(s) and your passport(s).
- The reference number which you obtained from UNHCR office or Caritas.
- Two passport-sized photos of yourself. Photos of your dependents are not needed unless they are 12 years old and above and were issued a separate UNHCR documentation card.
Do I have to pay any fees to obtain the residence card?
Yes, you will be required to pay processing fees of the residency permit card of EGP 100 at the bank located at the premises while presenting your application to the Residence Unit.
How can I reach the Passport and Immigration Administration?
The headquarters of the administration is located at 417 Ramses Street in Abbasiya, which is easy to reach by public transport by following these instructions:
For refugees living in Greater Cairo:
Cairo Metro: The nearest station to the new headquarters is Abbasiya Station (Green Line; Imbaba – Airport). After exiting the metro station, the Administration will be a five-minute-walk away.
For refugees residing in other governorates:
Ramses Train Station: You can take the train/public transport from any governorate to Ramses station. When you arrive at the station, go to Al Shohadaa metro station and get off at Ataba metro station where you will change to the green metro line (Imbaba – Airport) and get off at Abbasiya station. After exiting the metro station, the Administration will be a five-minute-walk away.