Naturalization is the act through which a person who was not born in Brazil voluntarily acquires Brazilian nationality, as long as they meet the requirements established by law, decree and related standards.

More information on the naturalization process can be found below.

Who is a naturalized Brazilian?

It is the person who, although not born in Brazil, has acquired the right to Brazilian citizenship.
Naturalized Brazilians now have an identity document (RG) and a Brazilian passport and have civil and political rights in Brazil, including the right to vote and be elected. Only the exercise of certain offices and functions (such as President of the Republic) is reserved exclusively for persons of original Brazilian nationality.

How to apply for naturalization?

The naturalization process is carried out through the Naturalizar-se platform. Access the federal government’s website through the link

On the platform, you will be able to register your details, fill in the naturalization application form according to the option chosen (ordinary, extraordinary, provisional or definitive), enter the necessary documents and receive notifications about the progress of the process and the need to provide additional information.

Once the documents have been analysed and approved, you will need to arrange a date and time to appear in person at a Federal Police to present the original documents and take biometric data.

The service is free of charge and the decision on the naturalization process is published in the Official Journal of the Union.

What are the main types of naturalization and who can apply?

  • Ordinary

For refugees and immigrants over the age of 18 with permanent residence in Brazil for at least 4 years*.

*This period is reduced to 1 year if the refugee or immigrant has a Brazilian child or is married/in a stable relationship with a Brazilian.

Other requirements:
Ability to communicate in Portuguese;
No criminal record or evidence of rehabilitation.

  • Extraordinary

For refugees and immigrants over 18 years of age with permanent residence in Brazil for more than 15 consecutive years*.

* Sporadic trips abroad (not exceeding 90 days per year and 12 months in total) do not prevent the naturalization period from being counted.

Other requirements:
No criminal conviction or evidence of rehabilitation.

  • Provisional

For refugee and immigrants children and adolescents who acquired permanent residence in Brazil before the age of 10.

For refugee children, the age of the application for asylum seeker is taken into account, not the age of the declaration of status by CONARE.

Other requirements:
Provisional naturalization must be requested by the legal representative of the child or adolescent.

Provisional naturalization can be converted into definitive naturalization if the naturalized person requests within two years of reaching the age of majority.

How can I prove that I have residence in Brazil for an indefinite period?

To meet this requirement, the period between the date on which the person began to reside in Brazil for an indefinite period (i.e., residence that is not temporary or provisional) and the date of the naturalization application is counted.
Water, electricity, telephone bills, and work cards are examples of documents accepted as proof of years of residence in Brazil. The National Migratory Registration Card (CRNM) can also be used to prove permanent residence.

ATTENTION! For refugees, the deadline is counted from the beginning of the asylum seeker process (from the First Refugee Protocol) and not from the date of the declaration of their status by Conare or CRNM.

How can I prove that I communicate in Portuguese?

You will be required to present certain documents as specified in art. 5 of Decree No. 623 of 13 November 2020, such as the CELPE-BRAS certificate or a certificate issued by a higher education institution accredited by the Ministry of Education.
Proof and/or diplomas of completion of primary or secondary education are also accepted through the National Qualification for Adolescents and Adults – ENCCEJA, as well as higher education or postgraduate courses taken in Brazil.

How can I prove I have no criminal record?

  • Criminal record certificate issued by the Federal and State Courts of the places where you have resided in Brazil in the last four years;
  • Criminal record certificate or equivalent document issued by the country of origin, legalized or apostilled and translated, in Brazil, by an official public translator.

ATTENTION! Refugees are exempt from having a criminal record from their country of origin.