Attention: The Federal Police extended the validity period of expired documents during the pandemic to September, 15, 2022. Check it out

Recognized refugees in Brazil are entitled to receive the “Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório” (National Migration Registration Card), which is the former “Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros – RNE” (Registry of Foreigners – RNE), the “Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social – CTPS” (Work and Social Security Card”), the “Cadastro de Pessoa Física – CPF” (Individual Tax Identification Number) and a travel document (passport).

Asylum seekers have the right to obtain the Temporary Protocol valid for one year and renewable for the same period, a temporary work permit (CTPS), as well as an Individual Tax Identification Number (CPF).

If you prefer, watch the video that talks about documents:

Information for undocumented refugees in Brazil

In its latest update, Ordinance 670, of April 1, 2022, allows full entry of refugees and migrants into Brazil under the following conditions:

  • By air:
    • Vaccinated travelers must present proof of vaccination;
    • Travelers who are not fully vaccinated, provided that Brazilians and foreigners residing in Brazilian territory, those with a health condition that contraindicates vaccination (attested by a medical report), those not eligible for vaccination due to age or coming from countries with low vaccination coverage: must present to the airline, before boarding, the document proving the performance of a test for Covid-19, with a negative or non-detectable result, such as an antigen test or RT-PCR laboratory performed one day before the moment of boarding;
    • Foreigners who are not fully vaccinated remain prevented from entering the national territory (with exceptions).


  • By land:
    • Brazilians and foreigners must present proof of vaccination at terrestrial control points. The receipt must also be presented, as a condition for boarding, to those responsible for international road and rail passenger transport services.
    • Are exempt from presenting proof of vaccination in land transport:
      • Brazilians and foreigners residing in Brazilian territory who are not fully vaccinated;
      • cargo transport worker under the conditions provided for by the ordinance;
      • traffic from border residents in twin cities;
      • traveler in a situation of vulnerability (humanitarian crisis);
      • from countries with low vaccination coverage;
      • ineligible for vaccination based on age;
      • traveler with a health condition that contraindicates vaccination.


  • By sea:
    • Vaccinated: traveler from international origin, Brazilian or foreign, must present, to the operator or person responsible for the vessel, before boarding, the proof of vaccination, printed or electronically;
    • Vaccinated travelers are exempt from presenting a document proving a test for Covid-19, with a negative or non-detectable result;
    • Travelers who are not fully vaccinated, provided that Brazilians and foreigners residing in Brazilian territory, those with a health condition that contraindicates vaccination (attested by a medical report), those not eligible for vaccination due to age or coming from countries with low vaccination coverage: must present to the operator or person responsible for the vessel, before disembarkation in the country, proof of carrying out a test for Covid-19, with a negative or non-detectable result, such as an antigen test or RT-PCR laboratory performed one day before the moment of the landing.


  • Rules applicable to children:
    • Vaccinated children are covered by the general rules of the ordinance;
    • Unvaccinated children:
      • under the age of twelve, who are traveling accompanied are exempt from presenting tests to screen for infection by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (covid-19), provided that all companions present documents with negative or undetectable laboratory results RT-PCR or antigen test, performed up to one day before departure/entry into the country;
      • aged between two and twelve years, who are traveling unaccompanied, must present documents with a negative or non-detectable result, of the laboratory type RT-PCR or antigen test, carried out within one day before the moment of departure/entry into the country;
      • Children under the age of two do not need to submit tests.


Finally, it is recommended that everyone adopt the measures to mitigate the contagion of Sars-Cov-2 (covid-19) provided for in Ordinance GM/MS 1.565, of June 18, 2020, issued by the National Health Surveillance Agency. – Anvisa. To find out more information, click here.

Those who do not have documentation of their migratory status may be notified to leave the country voluntarily within a period of up to 60 days, under penalty of fine. However, it is important for you to know that, if you still wish to remain in Brazil, the undocumented immigrant is guaranteed access to the following services and rights:

The Federal Revenue Service of Brazil guarantees the issuance of CPF for refugees and undocumented immigrants (Note Cogea nº 02, January 20, 2021).

To request the CPF, access the following link:

Then, send an email to [email protected] with the pre-registration and required documents.

Comprehensive health care in Brazil takes place regardless of the presentation of documents and migratory status. This is what the Federal Constitution authorizes (Article 5, caput), the Migration Law (Article 4, VIII), and Law No. 8,742/1993 (Article 19, sole p.).

Therefore, the entire SUS network (hospitals, UPA, UBS, etc.) is accessible to refugees and undocumented immigrants, who are even entitled to be vaccinated free of charge against COVID-19 in Brazil.

Access to public education is also guaranteed to the refugee or immigrant, regardless of the regularity of their migratory status, according to Law 13,445/2017 (art. 4, X).

Resolution No. 1/2020 of the National Education Council also guarantees that the lack of documents cannot prevent the right of refugee and immigrant children and adolescents to enroll in Brazilian public basic education networks.

To open a bank account in Brazil, the refugee or immigrant without documents issued in the country can present another recognized identification document, such as the passport or identity card of the country of origin (BCB Normative Instruction nº 2, of August 3, 2020).

Each Bank, however, carries out an internal security assessment for the acceptance of a foreign document. In this sense, the Federal Public Defender’s Office (DPU) has already recommended to banking institutions that identification documents from the countries of origin, such as a passport, ballot or consular card, as well as an identity card, are documents capable of proving the civil identity of refugees and immigrants, regardless of their migratory status. If there is a refusal, assistance may be sought.

In addition, accounts with a low limit of deposited amount (up to R$ 5,000.00) can be opened by cell phone and just enter some data such as name and CPF (Financial Information Booklet). It is also guaranteed to the refugee or undocumented immigrant to open a digital social savings account, which does not require the presentation of documents (Decree nº 10.316/2020 – art. 11, p. 1, I).

The Migration Law guarantees access to social assistance services to refugees or immigrants regardless of their migratory status (art. 4, VIII). The Federal Supreme Court has already guaranteed (decision in RE 587970) that immigrants are beneficiaries of the country’s social assistance programs.

In addition to the decision of the STF, the Public Defender’s Office has already clarified that the right to social assistance is guaranteed to all people residing in Brazil, regardless of their regular or irregular migratory status (Official Circular nº 3578466/2020, April/2020). Thus, as long as they meet the specific rules for obtaining benefits, such as a family allowance or emergency aid, the undocumented immigrant can apply for them, registering in CadÚnico using the CPF. Remember that the benefit withdrawal may depend on having a bank account.

Material produced by Caritas Archdiocesan of São Paulo.

Provisional Protocol

Every asylum seeker will receive a Provisional Protocol valid for 1 year and renewable until CONARE’s final decision on that asylum request. This will be your identity document in Brazil. It serves as proof of your regular migratory situation and that you can not be returned to a country where your life is endangered. With this protocol, you will be able to obtain a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho – CTPS), a Brazilian Tax Number (Cadastro de Pessoa Física – CPFand the right to access all available public services in Brazil. According to the Brazilian Law, the Protocol is a valid document throughout national territory and it proves that you are legally entitled to be in Brazil.

Even though this is an official document, it might be a challenge sometimes for an average Brazilian to recognize it as a valid document, as the Provisional Protocol is very different from the documents owned by Brazilian nationals. If you face any problem to access services and rights with this document, please contact the Federal Public Defender’s Office (DPU) or UNHCR’s partner organizations.

In order for the Provisional Protocol to remain valid and so that you can work legally, it is necessary to renew it at the Federal Police every year. Asylum seekers who do not renew the Protocol within this deadline might have their claims archived. Be aware of the renovation date noted on your protocol and present yourself at a Federal Police station before this date.

Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório (National Immigration Registry Card)

An asylum seeker that has had his/her refugee status recognized in Brazil has the right to obtain the National Immigration Registry Card (former National Registration of Foreigners – RNE), an identification document for foreigners in Brazil. The issuing and the renewing of the Card/RNE are made at any Federal Police Department (If you are in São Paulo, go to the unit located at Rua Hugo D’Antola, 95 – Lapa de Baixo, phone: 11 3538-5000). Pay close attention to the expiration date of your Card/RNE. The renewal must be done 3 (three) months prior to the expiration date of your former document.

For confidentiality reasons, the document you carry as a refugee does not list your migratory status as “refugee”, but rather uses the category “resident” according to the Brazilian Refugee Law (9747/1997).

In case of doubts and for more information, contact the Federal Police at number 194 or by e-mail to [email protected], or with civil society organizations that work with refugees.

Certidão de Confirmação da Condição de Refugiado (Refugee Condition Confirmation Certificate)

If you need a certificate issued by Conare confirming your refugee status, you need to follow the step by step below:

Step 1 – Register as a SEI user according to the manual instructions available at the link.

Step 2 – After gaining access to SEI, log in with your login and password.

Step 3 – On the left side, under “peticionamento”, choose the “processo novo” option.

Step 4 – In the “escolha o tipo do processo que deseja iniciar” list, select “Refúgio: Solicitação de Certidão de Refugiado”.

Step 5 – In specification, place “solicitação de certidão”.

Step 6 – In “documentos”, there will be a line with” documento principal “. Click on “Solicitação de Certidão Confirmatória de Refugiado”.

Step 7 – The certificate request form will then open. Fill in the required fields.

  • Check if you are a refugee or if you are an applicant.
  • The RNE / RNM number is only mandatory for refugees.
  • The Refuge Protocol number is mandatory for applicants.
  • Although the Refuge Protocol number is not mandatory for refugees, the application will be processed more quickly if this number is provided.

Step 8 – Click on the “salvar” button, which is in the upper left corner of the form, and then close the form screen.

Step 9 – In “documentos complementares”, add a copy / photo FRONT AND BACK of your RNE or CNRM (for refugees); or copy / photo of your Refuge Protocol. In “tipo de documento”, you can select this option.

Step 10 – In “formato”, choose “digitalizado”, and click “adicionar”

Step 11 – In “interessado”, include your own name.

Step 12 – Then click on “peticionar”.

After this registration, your registration will be analyzed by the General Coordination of Conare and the certificate will be sent within 15 working days, if the requested documents have been sent correctly. If any documents are missing, you will be informed that a new electronic petition will be required.

If you need support please contact them at [email protected] or by phone at (61) 2025 9734

If you prefer, watch the video prepared by CONARE (in Portuguese):

Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS (Work permit and Social Security Card)

Both asylum seekers and refugees have the right to work in Brazil. The Work Permit and Social Security Card (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social – CTPS) is the document that verifies all the worker’s professional life. This document is mandatory for exercising formal professional activities and can be requested by anyone over 14 years old, national or foreigner, with regular residence in Brazil and a CPF number.

Recently in Brazil the document became digital. In most cases it is no longer necessary to issue a physical version of it.

Anyone interested in applying for their digital Work and Social Security Card (CTPS) must download the application (“Carteira de Trabalho Digital”) for free on the virtual store of their mobile phone (Apple’s Apple Store and the Android Play Store). Or access the link At the time of hiring it is only necessary to inform the CPF number.

If the employer requests the physical Work and Social Security Card (CTPS), call 158 to request the physical document.

Cadastro de Pessoa Física - CPF (Individual Tax Identification Number)

CPF is one of the main documents for persons residing in Brazil, as it allows the access to a series of services, such as the Public Health System (SUS), registration in public education institutions, opening bank accounts and other financial operations. Any individual, national or foreigner, can request a CPF.

Adults above 18 years old shall present the original or certified copy of his/her identity card, which can be the provisional protocol, the Card/RNE or even the passport. People under 18 years old shall present the original or certified copy of his/her identity card and the identity card of one of his/her parents or legal guardian.

You can request and issue your CPF number online for free! Just fill out the registration on the following link.

If you want to receive a physical document (card) you will need to pay a fee. To do this, just go to a post office.

For more information, please refer to these websites (Portuguese only):

Receita Federal do Brasil


Refugees recognized in Brazil are entitled to apply for a passport, valid for two years from the date of issue. Asylum seekers are not entitled to this passport and, as applicants, must wait for refugee status to be able to request a travel document.

To request a passport you have to:

1) Fill out the application form
2) Pay the fees
3) Schedule a date to go to the Federal Police Station
4) Present at the Federal Police on the date scheduled with your refugee identity card (Card/RNE), tax payment receipt and proof of scheduling.

* You must wait one (1) business day for the payment of the fee to be compensated before scheduling your trip to the Federal Police.

You can check the application process of your passport here.

The passport will be delivered personally to its owner.

If you want to travel abroad, check the need to communicate or request authorization from CONARE in the “travel abroad” session.

License Driver (CNH)

In construction