1. Who are we?
UNHCR is the United Nations refugee agency who helps Governments provide protection and assistance to refugees. UNHCR along with UNICEF, IOM and IFRC is supporting the Slovakian Government to provide short term transitional cash assistance to refugees fleeing Ukraine to meet their basic needs.
UNHCR is collecting and will use your personal data for the reasons explained below.
2. Why do we collect your personal data?
The personal data will be collected to enable UNHCR and other agencies to provide you with assistance. This process is called enrolment for cash assistance and is separate from when the Slovakian government collects your personal data.
UNHCR uses the information collected during the enrolment to determine which individuals need assistance and what type of assistance. UNHCR also monitors who receives the assistance and when it is received.
3. What type of personal data do we need and how are we going to use it?
UNHCR will need personal data about you, including your
- biographical data (such as full name, date of birth, nationality, family composition),
- necessary information about any specific needs (e.g., persons with disability) that you or your family members may have to allow for a more targeted assistance and support,
- photo and fingerprints for identification and assistance purposes,
- contact information (Slovak phone number & address) to be able to contact you and inform you that assistance is ready for you to collect.
- Bank account number/IBAN (if available) to deliver the cash assistance into the bank account
Your personal data will be kept for so long as required to give you cash assistance. We may keep your personal data longer, if we give you long-term protection and assistance, or to demonstrate accountability of our actions when necessary.
Your personal data will be treated confidentially and only those who need to see it will be given access to it.
4. Who will have access to your data?
Where it is necessary to provide and coordinate assistance, your personal data may be shared with:
- The Financial Service Provider (FSP) contracted by UNHCR for cash assistance in Slovakia
- The Government of Slovakia to facilitate the coordination of assistance across the territory and identify persons in need of other social services
- Other UN agencies and humanitarian organisations in Slovakia providing assistance to refugees for deduplication or protection referral purposes
Please note that your fingerprints will not be shared with anyone.
Under no circumstances, will we share your personal data with the Ukrainian government without your explicit consent.
5. What do you need to further know?
We will seek to provide you with relevant assistance on the basis of the information you provide us. Therefore, it is important to provide accurate data. If the information that you provide is not accurate to the best of your knowledge, your access to assistance and services may be negatively impacted and even stopped.
Decisions about your eligibility for assistance will be made based on the vulnerability criteria set by the government of Slovakia, UNHCR and other actors providing cash assistance.
6. What are your rights
You have the right to access your personal data and relevant information concerning how we use it. You also have the right to request correction or updates of your personal data. And you have the right to ask that we delete your personal data. You finally have the right to object to our use of your personal data, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time. Please note that you can exercise your rights by contacting us through the channels provided below and also by approaching enrolment staff with questions and reasons for objections.
Please note that your personal data is necessary for the enrolment, delivery and coordination of cash assistance and potential referral to other services and support. Therefore, if you decide to opt out from the enrolment exercise or to object to the continued use of your personal data by us, you will not benefit from emergency cash or other assistance provided by UNHCR, other UN agencies and humanitarian organisations.
7. How can you contact us?
If you have questions about how we collect and use your personal data, or if you would like to make a request or lodge a complaint about our use of your personal data you can do so by
- Approaching enrolment staff during your interview
- Sending an email to: [email protected]