Temporary Protection

What is Temporary Protection?

It is currently the simplest way for people fleeing the war to get a legal status and does not require lengthy procedures. You can apply for it as soon as you enter Slovakia or when you decide to do so. If you are given the status, it is valid until 4 March 2024 and might be extended.

You can also apply for asylum, which is administratively longer and can take up to 6 months.

Who is eligible for Temporary Protection?

You can apply for Temporary Protection if you are:

  • Ukrainian national
  • person who has been granted international or equivalent national protection in Ukraine before 24 February 2022;
  • family member of Ukrainian national or person who have been granted international or equivalent national protection in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 (if the family member resided in the territory of Ukraine before 24 February 2022);
  • foreigner, who as of 24 February 2022 had permanent residence permit in Ukraine and cannot safely return to the home country.

What does it offer me?

  • The Temporary Protection gives you access to Slovak health care, food, hygiene, education, accommodation, and access to the labour market.
  • Cash assistance: Governmental and international organizations will also provide basic cash assistance to people fleeing the war who are granted Temporary Protection. The information on the cash assistance can be found at UNHCR website.
  • Accommodation: You can request assistance with accommodation at one of the registration centres set up by the Government. You can find more information about them here. Authorities will find you a place in emergency accommodation. As there is limited capacity for accommodation, it is recommended you make the request at one of these centres as individual places may not have space if you go to them individually. The State also provides an allowance to private individuals who provide accommodation free of charge to Temporary Protection holders. The information (including the necessary forms) at the website of the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Transportation: Information will be updated.
  • Mobile: Some Slovak mobile operators provide SIM cards for calls and internet free of charge at the registration centres. There are also free Wi-Fi hotspots at these same locations.

How to apply for it?

You can apply for Temporary Protection in the registration centres designated for this purpose, or in selected departments of the Foreign Police. You can find more information on the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic.

Pre-registration Form for Temporary Protection is here.

Where are the registration centres?

You can apply for Temporary Protection in these registration centres:

  • Municipality of Michalovce

Municipality Sports Hall

Športová 31

24 hours/7 days a week


  • Municipality of Bratislava

Bottova 7

Mon-Fri: 07:00 to 19:00.


Can I apply for asylum?

Yes, but the status of Temporary Protection may be more appropriate for the people fleeing Ukraine, because asylum applications may take a long time (6 months).

Where to apply for asylum?

You can apply for asylum at the police department at the border crossing point when you enter Slovakia; or at the asylum centre in Humenné. Detailed info can be found here.

Can I apply for other EU countries?

  • You do not need to apply for Temporary Protection in the first country you arrive in after fleeing Ukraine.
  • You should apply for Temporary Protection in the EU country where you intend to stay as you can only have the status in one EU country. When you are given the status, you will receive a document to confirm you have this status in a specific country.
  • If you already have TP in one country but want to apply in another, please contact the authorities there to check if it is possible. Not all countries will allow an application if you already have the status somewhere else. If your application in another country is approved, your status will be removed for the other country.
  • Having Temporary Protection does not mean you have to stay in that country. You are able to move around freely to other EU countries for up to 90 days within a 180 day period, or you can choose to travel to any other countries if you have the necessary documents (passport, visa etc).

Can I travel to Ukraine and come back to Slovakia?

The Temporary Protection Status does not stop you from traveling to Ukraine. If you travel to Ukraine, this will not cancel your Temporary Protection status and you will still be entitled to the same benefits.