Asylum-Seeker rights


Asylum-seekers and refugees are protected from forcible return to a country in which their life or freedom may be in danger on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. Even if you enter the country without a visa or entry permit, you may not be deported while your asylum claim undergoes a due process of analysis.

Non penalization

The authorities may not detain or penalize you for entering the country without an entry visa if you claim asylum verbally or in writing to an immigration official upon arriving from a country where your life or freedom may be in danger. The authorities also may not penalize you for overstaying in the country.

However, you must respect the national laws of Trinidad and Tobago. Breaking the law may result in a conviction irrespective of your status in the country.

Protection and asylum

According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, any person whose life is in danger in their own country has the right to seek protection and asylum in another country.

As an asylum-seeker in Trinidad and Tobago, you have the right to receive information about your asylum application, your rights and your duties in a language you understand.

You have the right to contact UNHCR in Trinidad and Tobago at any point during the process, from the moment of expressing your fear of return to your country of origin.


You have the right to live in an environment free from discrimination, regardless of ethnicity, color, sex, language, religion, political opinion, nationality, economic position, birthplace or any other personal attribute.

The Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago guarantees rights without discrimination on the basis of race, origin, color, religion or sex.

Access to Banking Services

Refugees and asylum-seekers do not currently have the same rights to public and private banking services as nationals and residents of Trinidad and Tobago. Refugees and asylum-seekers may open a bank account, transfer funds and access other basic banking services, in line with the policies of each banking institution.

You may have access to money transfer services, such as Western Union or Money Gram. If you do encounter a problem, you can request advice and assistance from LWC.


All persons in Trinidad and Tobago have access to state-provided primary health-care. Pre-natal and some post-natal healthcare are also provided free of cost at these public healthcare centers. Some medicines are available free of cost with a prescription from a doctor in the healthcare centre or hospital. Certain medicines, like insulin, may not be covered.

For secondary or specialized healthcare services you may have to see a private doctor, which can be costly. These include non-emergency surgical procedures and specialized treatments like dialysis and chemotherapy.

You may also have access to basic assistance in shelter, food and medical care from LWC. These services are supplied on a case-by-case basis. Click here for more information on accessing healthcare in Trinidad and Tobago.


At this time, the laws of Trinidad and Tobago do not allow asylum-seekers or refugees to be employed. UNHCR and LWC continue to provide basic assistance in shelter, food and medical care to asylum-seekers and refugees on a case-by-case basis.


Equal Place is a temporary intervention helping asylum-seekers, refugees and other eligible children in need to access accredited education. Starting September 2019, this learning will mainly take place online, with opportunities for in-person support. This intervention is a joint effort offered by UNHCR, The UN Refugee Agency, UNICEF, Living Water Community, and TTVSOLNET (TTV Solidarity Network).

Equal Place delivers tailor-made learning on two globally recognized platforms: NotesMaster, offered in English, and Dawere, offered in Spanish. These platforms will be provided at no cost to students or their families.

You can enroll your child here.

Freedom of Movement

You have the right to move freely throughout national territory and choose where you want to live, but you must update LWC and the Immigration Division of changes to your address.

While awaiting the determination of your claim, you must stay in Trinidad and Tobago or inform the Refugee Unit and UNHCR of your intent to depart the country. If you leave at any time without prior communication to the Refugee Unit and UNHCR, it may be considered abandonment of your asylum claim.


How can we improve this website? Please feel free to give us feedback if there is any information you believe is missing or could be wise to have on this website.

(Your privacy will be respected and the confidentiality of your answers will be maintained)