EU Air Transfers

Free Air Transport from Moldova to EU Member States.

The Republic of Moldova is organizing, in collaboration with UNHCR, IOM and EU Member States, free transportation by plane directly from Moldova to selected EU countries, where support will be organized and you can register temporary protection. This is a safe and fast way to travel.

FLIGHT SCHEDULE (updated on 24 May 2022)

European countries currently organizing flights: Austria, France, Germany, Italy, SpainFrance, Netherlands, Norway More countries are expected to set flights soon so please register to be screened so that we know where vulnerable persons seek to be relocated. If you would like to be relocated to a country where no flight is yet scheduled, please enroll in our program so we can refer this need to the host country.  Visit our container space at Moldexpo or call 0800-800-11 for more information.

CountryUpcoming flights Departed
May 28
June 3
19 March | 21 March | 25 March |
2 April |10 April | 15 April |
20 April | 27 April | 14 May | 18 May | 20 May
BulgariaNo flights scheduled at this time
FranceJune 2 or June 3 (to be confirmed)21 April | 13 May
Germany June 105 May | 19 May
GreeceNo flights scheduled at this time
25 March | 1 April | 9 April
27 April
ItalyFlights to be scheduled 2nd week of June
IcelandNo flights scheduled at this time
IrelandFlight to be scheduled to be soon
LatviaNo flights scheduled at this time 7 April
LichtensteinNo flights scheduled at this time
LithuaniaNo flights scheduled at this time
NetherlandsMay 26
NorwayJune 8May 20
Portugal No flight scheduled at this time
SpainMay 27May 11
SwitzerlandFlights to be scheduled soonMay 20

Information about Air transfer to specific EU countries

The European Commission has set up a solidarity platform to share information among EU member states and
agencies regarding reception capacity, the number of persons enjoying temporary protection and additional
support needs. Under the EU solidarity platform, UNHCR and IOM coordinate with EU for the transportation of
refugees who have expressed interest to travel from the Moldova to EU member states. EU air transfer from
Moldova serves as a responsibility-sharing mechanism. Under this initiative, vulnerable refugees who have specific
needs, friends, or family links in EU members states, can register for screening and assistance with UNHCR.

All refugees referred for relocation under the EU solidarity platform must fit at least one vulnerability category,
some of which include:

Family reunification needs

If you need support reunifying with a family member who currently lives outside of Ukraine or Moldova, please contact 0800-800-11 or visit us at Moldexpo.

Information about Air transfer to specific EU countries

Flag of France - Wikipedia

Air Transfer to France

For more information about Air Transfer to France, click on the links below

flag of Latvia | Britannica

Air transfer to Latvia

For more information about Air Transfer to Latvia, click on the links below

Austria: cost of life - Immigration & Residency

Air Transfer to Austria

For more information about Air Transfer to Austria, click on the links below

Flag of Germany |

Air transfer to Germany

For more information about Air Transfer to Germany, click on the link below:

flag of Spain | Britannica

Air transfer to Spain

For more information about Air Transfer to Spain, click on the links below

See the source image

Air transfer to Netherlands

Air Transfer to Norway

For more information about Air Transfer to Norway, click on the links below

File:Flag of Switzerland.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Air to Switzerland

If you want more information you can read the FAQs below or call the following number:

0800 800 11

UPDATED AS OF 2 May 2022

What are the air transfers?  Several European countries working with the Government of Moldova to organise free flights out from Chisinau to European countries, in the context of the Solidarity Platform established by the European Union. UNHCR and IOM are supporting the flights through screening interested individuals and families and facilitating transport and a medical assessment to determine ability to get on a plane.

European countries currently organizing flights: Austria, France, Germany, Italy, SpainFrance, Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland.  More countries are expected to set flights soon so please register to be screened so that we know where vulnerable persons seek to be relocated.  If you need support to be reunified with a family members in another country, please contact us for support.

Can I take one of the flights?

In principle yes, if you:

  1. Fled Ukraine on or after the 24 February 2022;
  2. Have some form of the following identity documentation: foreign passport (biometric or not), internal passport, identity card, birth certificate or asylum paper received on entry to Moldova.

There are some other pre-flight requirements, for more information and to undergo a first screening interview, contact:0800 800 11.

I am interested in the flights, how can I register?

If you are in Palanca, go to the Intersos information point. You will undergo a screening in Palanca and if you meet the initial requirements (see below), you will be supported to get a bus to Chisinau. In Chisinau, you will be found accommodation and go through the additional steps before taking a flight.

For everyone else, please call this number: 0800 800 11. You will be directed to MoldExpo for a screening interview, or a mobile team will come to you to conduct the screening.

What is the cost to me?

Several European countries working with the Government of Moldova to organise free flights out from Chisinau to European countries. UNHCR and IOM is supporting the flights through screening interested individuals and families and facilitating transport and a medical assessment to determine ability to get on a plane.

The travel is free of charge. You should not be asked for money or to provide any other service.

I am not Ukrainian, can I still take a flight?

It depends on the country and your circumstances.

I don’t have any documentation, what can I do?

You can reach out to the Legal Centre of Advocates (LCA): +373 605748. They may be able to assist you with documentation. If you have your asylum paper given to you by the Government of Moldova on arrival, you could also look at alternative means for travel, such as bus or train. There are other legitimate and free transport options by bus or train. See here for more information:

Can I choose which country to travel to?

You have the choice where and how you travel. You can express a preference for specific countries, for example where you have relatives or friends, or if you know the language. If you are not interested in one of the flights currently available but interested in another flight, you can still register your interest in an air transfer and if the country does start flights, we will inform you. Call this number to get more information:0800 800 11 .

I am alone with my children – my husband/wife is not here – can I travel?

You can travel with the children without your husband or wife. To leave Moldova, you do not need any documentation from the absent parent. In most cases, you should be able to be reunited with your absent husband/wife in the third country. Check the information available for specific countries.

I have a child with me who is not my biological child, could the child come with me?

If you are caring for a child who is not your biological or adopted child, there will be special procedures designed to confirm what is best for this child.  If it is confirmed that onward travel is best for the child and your family, the process will also ensure that the necessary documentation is in place for you to travel together with the child. In preparation for this you should collect as many of the following documents as you can:

  • Child identity documents including birth certificates and passports
  • If you are related to the child, any documents you have that prove you are related to the child (e.g. birth certificates, marriage certificates or passports that prove the relationship between your family and the child)
  • Parental approval for the child to travel with you.  If possible, this should be signed by a notary, but if not possible, it should be signed by both parents and have someone witness the document.  This should include the name and ID of the child, the name and ID of the parents, the name and ID of the person who the child is travelling with and the signature of the parents.   If you cannot get both parents to sign, have one parent sign the letter.

I am under 18 and on my own, can I travel?

There is a special process designed to confirm what is in your best interest. If it is confirmed that onward travel is best for you, the process will also ensure that there is the require support on arrival in the new country.

Can I take my pet/s with me?

It is very likely that you can take your pet with you. You will need to check this during the screening process. If you do not have a carrier for your pet, you will need to inform the individual conducting your screening so something can be arranged.

Will other family members be able to join me in the country?

In most circumstances, immediate or dependent family members (spouse, minor unmarried children, parents or other relative living with you) have the right to join you. However, the country may not support you with travel arrangements for the family member and they may need to find their own may to the country.

How long do I need to wait for a flight?

It is difficult to know. You can check on the UNHCR Help page the current schedule of flights. This schedule is frequently changing. There should be flights to different countries each week, but we cannot guarantee the schedule.

Can I come back to Moldova?

You may not receive transport or monetary assistance to return to Moldova, but you are free to travel back to Moldova if you choose. To return Moldova via the Romania land border or air, you will need to have a valid biometric passport.

Can I go back to Ukraine?

If you chose to return to Ukraine, depending on the circumstances in Ukraine, you may receive some support from the EU country or an organisation to travel back. It is unlikely that you will receive support to return to Ukraine until it is considered safe for returns.

Who is responsible for organising the flights?

The Government of Moldova is organising the flights with the relevant European countries, in the context of the EU Solidarity Platform. UNHCR and IOM are supporting the process through conducting the screening, transport here in Moldova and in some situations, the medical assessments. In addition, UNHCR is working with the Legal Centre for Advocates, Intersos, CCR (Charity Center for Refugees) and Acted to conduct the screening interview. It is important that you only give your details to someone from one of those organisations and not other people not engaged in this process. You should ask for identity of the individual if you are not sure.

Pre-Flight Requirements – Screening, Medical, Security + Luggage

What do I need to do before a flight?

You will have a first screening interview with someone from UNHCR, LCA, CCR, Intersos or Acted. If you are unsure about the person asking you questions, do not hesitate to ask for identification.

After the screening, if there is a flight to the country you requested and you meet the requirements, you will be contacted for a basic medical assessment to see if you are able to get on a plane. You will be contacted by IOM or UNHCR to attend the medical appointment. If you are unable to travel to the location, ask for transport assistance. Do not hesitate to ask for identification if you are unsure of their identity.

Your details, including the results of the medical assessment, are given to the country of travel and they will conduct a security assessment. You will not be informed of the security assessment result, unless there is a problem and then you will be informed that you cannot travel to that country. UNHCR, IOM and other agencies supporting the air transfers are not given details about why someone may not pass the security assessment.

The screening interview, the medical assessment and the security assessment are all free processes; you should not be asked at any stage to pay money. If someone does approach you for money, you should report this immediately. You can call: +373-69-063-541 or email: [email protected].

Where is the medical assessment being done?

You will be contacted and told of the location of the medical assessment. Currently they are being done at the Railway Hospital, in Georghe Casu strada, 37, Chisinau. If you cannot get transport there, please ask the individual who contacts you with the medical assessment time.

Do I need to prepare for the medical assessment?

You do not need to prepare for the medical assessment – no fasting or anything else. However, if you do have any pre-existing medical conditions, it is good if you could bring copies of any relevant documentation or records (if you have them) – a photo or record on your phone is also helpful.

Do I need to do a COVID test or show a vaccination certificate for COVID?

At this stage, you will not need to a COVID test (PCR or rapid antigen test) prior to getting on the flight. You also do not need to show a valid vaccination certificate. However, some countries may require you to take a COVID test on arrival in the country.

If I do not pass the security assessment for one country, can I try another country by air?

UNHCR will try to see with other countries if it will be possible for you to travel to another country by plane. The decision will rest with the other countries.

When will I know about the flight?

It is difficult to know. You will be given information about the tentative flight during the medical assessment. This could be one day before the flight or several days before the flight.

Is it possible that I will not be eligible for a flight?

Yes, the authorities of the country may determine that you do not meet their requirements or identify some other concerns relating to the medical and security assessment. Normally, UNHCR, IOM and the other organisations involved are not given the details of these issues.

Where possible and with your consent, we will explore opportunities to travel by air or by bus/train to a different country, but it may not always be possible to identify another country.

If I am unable to fly but no longer have accommodation, what will happen?

UNHCR, IOM and the Government of Moldova, in coordination with you, will identify a suitable refugee accommodation centre for you.

Where possible and with your consent, we will explore opportunities to travel by air or by bus/train to a different country, but it may not always be possible to identify another country.

How much luggage can I pack?

Most flights will allow each individual travelling to have one piece of luggage that is checked-in and weighs no more than 23 kilograms. In addition, each individual can have one bag that they can carry on the plane that must fit within the following dimensions: 55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm and weigh not more than 8 kilograms.

When should I pack my luggage?

The flights are happening regularly, and you should be on standby to leave. You should be told at the time of your medical assessment when your flight will be. In some circumstances, you will be advised to bring your luggage to the medical assessment and stay one night in organised accommodation.

What should I take with me?

You should take anything that you want – within the luggage weight requirements and any restrictions from the airline carrier (it is important to check at the airport but for example, checked-in: flammable items, explosive items, matches, infectious materials; carry-on: knives, scissors, large quantities of liquids).

If you have contacts in the country you are travelling to, it is important to remember to take their numbers. If UNHCR has been able to provide a hotline or number for arrival in the country, it is important to keep a record of that also. For example, see here.

Questions on Arrival in the European Country

I have specific questions related to a specific country.

You can find out quite detailed information about the following countries above:

  • Austria
  • France
  • Germany
  • Latvia
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Spain
  • Latvia
  • Switzerland

How will I live in the new country?

For flights to European Union countries, you will be supported to apply for temporary protection. This will give you a residency permit that last until 4 March 2023. This will likely be automatically renewed; you will be able to find out more information about this in the country of your new residence.

With the temporary protection have access to housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, opportunities to work. You will been support for daily life, such as food, hygiene products. If you have children, they will be able to go to school. You should also be given access to translators to help you navigate with a different language.

Where will I live on arrival?

When you first arrive in the new country, you may be placed in a reception centre, like a refugee accommodation centre. The receiving country will do their best to ensure that conditions are acceptable and that families are kept together. Due to large arrivals of refugees and other individuals requiring support, the conditions may not always be what you are used to. You may be required to share a room with other families. It is important to remember that any stay in a centre is temporary.

If you are unhappy with the conditions, you should reach out to the authorities in the country. If you feel you are in danger, it is important you contact the emergency number in the country.

Where will I live?

After the initial days, the authorities should help you to find private accommodation. You may be housed by another family or on your own. Sometimes the authorities have difficulty housing large families altogether; if you are travelling in a large group, it is important to talk to the authorities about your preferences to stay together or how you would be comfortable living separately.

Once you are in private accommodation, you will be supported with rent and a stipend for food and other basic necessities.

Can I work in the new country?

The temporary protection gives you the right to work.

Can my children go to school?

Yes, your children will be able to attend school. They will be given support with language barriers.

Can I get access to medical support?

Yes, you will have medical insurance. If you have a medical condition, it may be helpful to have any medical records or documentation with you when you arrive in the new country.

Will there be support for me to learn the language?

Yes, there will be language support available on arrival.

I have mobility issues, will there be support for me?

Yes, there are different options for support on arrival in the country.

I am an older person and am travelling alone, would there be support for me?

Yes, you will be supported on arrival. Initially, you would be able to stay in a reception centre and later, if you choose, you will receive help to find private accommodation. If you do choose private accommodation, you will be financially supported with rent and food. 

Will have access to financial support on arrival in the country? 

You may receive some small financial support. Initially, you will receive mostly in-kind support, for example, clothes, hygienic products, diapers. 

Once I am living in the other country, can my family join me?

In most circumstances, immediate or dependents family members that lived with you prior to you leaving Ukraine can join you. Under the temporary protection, the temporary right of residence will normally also apply to your family members – under the condition that they have already lived with you in Ukraine before 24.02.2022. Family members include spouses or registered partners, minor unmarried children (also of the spouse or registered partner) as well as other close relatives who lived with you in a household and are dependent on you.  While all efforts will be made to ensure your family members can join you, given the uncertainty of the situation, if family members are not already in the EU they will need to be able to access the European Union to have the right to join you. 

Can I leave the country after I have arrived?

You will be first taken to a reception centre where you will be registered for temporary protection. After this, you will have the freedom of movement to travel within the country and to other countries that recognise your temporary protection identity card. However, you cannot legally live longer than 90 days during a period of 180 days in another country.

If you choose to return to Moldova, you will need to see that you meet the requirements of the Moldovan Government to return.

If you choose to return to Ukraine, you will be able to. If it is considered safe to return, the country of residence will likely provide you support to return.