The Government of the Republic of Moldova grants temporary protection to displaced persons from Ukraine. This is an exceptional measure to provide an immediate form of protection including access to services to persons who meet the eligibility criteria.
There is no fee for applying for temporary protection. If someone tries to ask you for money or favours, report it by calling the Refugee Response Green Line (0 800 800 11), or write to us: Report here. It is safe and confidential.
Who can apply for temporary protection?
- Ukrainian nationals residing in Ukraine before 24 February 2022.
- Ukrainian nationals who were in the Republic of Moldova before 24 February 2022.
- Stateless persons recognized by the Ukrainian authorities before 24 February 2022.
- Non-Ukrainian nationals benefitting from protection (international or equivalent national protection) granted by the Ukrainian authorities before 24 February 2022, and who cannot safely return to their country of origin.
- Family members of the persons mentioned above.
Which documents do I need to apply for temporary protection?
- An identity document issued by the Ukrainian authorities.
- Proof of residency in the Republic of Moldova.
- If needed, civil status documents. If any of your family members do not meet the above criteria, you will need to provide proof of relationship, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate.
To apply for temporary protection you must be in the country, and have a Moldovan phone number.
To apply, you must follow two steps
- Register online: protectietemporara.gov.md
You need to fill up some basic information about yourself and any family members applying with you, upload your documents, and select a time, date and location for your in-person appointment.
You will need to enter a Moldovan phone number to access the online registration form.
- Go to your appointment at the selected office of the General Inspectorate of Migration with original copies of your documents. You will have a short interview and be issued with a card confirming your status as a beneficiary of Temporary Protection from the Government of the Republic of Moldova.
As a beneficiary of temporary protection, you have the right to:
- Remain on the territory of the Republic of Moldova for a limited period of time (until 01.03.2024);
- Accommodation in the Temporary placement centres for persons in need;
- Primary and emergency healthcare;
- Education for children; and
- Social assistance services.
As a beneficiary of temporary protection, you are obliged to:
- Respect the law of the Republic of Moldova, without violating the rights and freedoms of other persons, and to behave in a civilised manner, respecting the rules established by the authorities.
- Respond to the requests of the state authorities.
- Inform the General Inspectorate of Migration in case of voluntary return to Ukraine, or obtaining another form of protection in another country.
- Inform the General Inspectorate of Migration within 10 days about any change of legal status, civil status, change of residence in the Republic of Moldova, loss or damage of the temporary protection ID document.
Cessation of the protection
- Expiry of the protection granted.
- To travel outside of the territory of the Republic of Moldova for more than 45 days, cumulative.
- The beneficiary renounces temporary protection.
- Voluntary repatriation to Ukraine or resettlement in another country.
- The person is granted another form of protection in the Republic of Moldova or seeks residency.
- Reasonable grounds for considering that the person is excludable.
For more information:
- General Inspectorate of Migration (GIM): igm.gov.md
- GIM Green Line: 0 800 015 27
- Refugee Response Green Line: 0 800 800 11