WHY IS WFP REDUCING ASSISTANCE LEVEL?
- WFP assists households (HHs) identified as the most vulnerable and food insecure through the general food assistance (GFA) program. WFP selects the most vulnerable households for its assistance in the communities based on a vulnerability model defined by WFP such as: gender, age, and education of the head of household, case size, disability in the case and number of dependents.
- Unfortunately, due to current financial resource constraints WFP Jordan is not able to maintain same level of food assistance to all the refugees in host communities as we have before. As a result, and to ensure continuity of the assistance to the families most in need and avoid cutting the assistance for many of the families, WFP is reducing the level of assistance for all refugees living in the communities starting September 2022.
WHAT ARE THE CHANGES ON THE ASSISTANCE LEVEL?
- The following changes in the level of assistance will take place starting from September 2022:
- Refugee families categorized as the most vulnerable, who usually receive assistance at a value of JOD23 per person per month in the communities, will receive JOD15 per person per month starting September 2022.
- Refugee families categorized as moderately vulnerable, who usually receive JOD15 per person per month in the communities, will receive JOD10 starting from September 2022.
- Refugee families living in the camps will continue receiving assistance on the same level JOD23 per person per month, provided funding is available.
HOW AND WHEN WILL I BE INFORMED ABOUT THE CHANGE?
- You will be notified via SMS from (WFP) early August 2022 of these reductions. WFP will endeavor to inform you of any other changes one month prior to the implementation of any change in assistance.
- This short notice period is due to current financial resource constraints that have impacted on our ability to provide food assistance at the same levels we had before.
- In order to remain up to date and receive updates on any changes to your assistance please make sure to update your phone number and any other information relating to your status with UNHCR.
- WFP will inform all refugees of any changes that may happen in the future.
DOES A REDUCTION IN WFP ASSISTANCE LEVEL AFFECT ASSISTANCE PROVIDED BY OTHER ORGANIZATIONS OR THE REGISTRATION STATUS?
- No. The reduction in WFP food assistance level is not connected in any way to services provided by other humanitarian organizations or registration status.
- Other organizations have their own programmes, criteria and funding for providing assistance.
HOW CAN I APPEAL TO WFP?
Unfortunately, WFP will not open a window for appeal currently as there is no means for WFP Jordan to change this decision since WFP Jordan does not have the necessary financial resources to maintain the level of assistance it usually provides for refugees. However, WFP continuously monitors the food security situation and re-evaluates its ability to ensure continuity of the assistance to the families most in need while using the available funds over a longer period of time.
VULNERABILITIES HAVE INCREASED AFTER COVID AND THE GLOBAL RISE IN FOOD AND FUEL PRICES. IS THIS THE RIGHT TIME FOR THIS REDUCTION?
WFP understands the challenging impact of the pandemic and global and local increases in prices including food, its impact on the economy, and the rising levels of vulnerability among Jordanians and refugees. We are very conscious of how vital our support is important for refugee families, but given insufficient financial resources, we have been forced to make difficult choices to ensure that we can support the most vulnerable refugees based on the current available resources. Meanwhile, WFP continues to work hard to secure the necessary funding.
HOW CAN I CONTACT WFP FOR MORE INFORMATION?
You can always contact WFP through the channels below:
- WFP Facebook page (Food Assistance for Refugees Registered in Jordan)
- WFP Hotline: 0797778841 – 0797778851
- The Helpdesks available in all governorates (open only at specific times and locations that are announced monthly on WFP’s Facebook page).