Frequently asked questions

Click on the below links to jump to Q&A:

❗️ Extension of the validity of temporary protection residence permits ❗️

Please be informed that, after temporary protection was extended in the whole European Union for one more year (until 4 March 2024), the Hungarian government has now extended the validity of the temporary protection residence permits until 4 March 2024.

What does this mean for me if I have temporary protection?
This means that your residence permit card is now valid until 4 March 2024, contrary to the validity date physically displayed on the card (4 March 2023).

What do I need to do at this point?
According to the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (NDGAP), you do not need to take any action for now. The validity of the card has been extended by law. Please keep an eye on the website of the NDGAP for more information.

In case somebody questions the validity of your residence permit, for example, your employer, or any service providers (healthcare, education), please inform them about the extension and demonstrate to them the law ensuring that the plastic card is valid until 4 March 2024.

What is the exact legal provision I can refer to, in case the validity of my residence permit is questioned?
▸ The new law is Government decree 58/2023 of 28 February 2023, however, it is only an amendment of Government decree 86/2022 of 7 March 2022, which introduced the EU form of temporary protection.
▸ Therefore, the correct legal reference is Section 5(3) of Government decree 86/2022 of 7 March 2022. In Hungarian, with link: 86/2022. (III. 7.) Korm. rendelet 5. § (3) bekezdés.

In case you have more questions or need assistance, please call our Refugee Helpline at +36 80 984 583 or contact us at [email protected].

UNHCR regularly monitors the situation of Ukrainian refugees in Hungary. In recent weeks, we have seen a large number of questions regarding temporary protection status in Hungary and would like to provide some clarifications in this regard. Below you will find answers to these questions. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide up-to-date information for refugees. Please note that the below answers are based on information published by the European Union (

I am registered for temporary protection but I want to go back to Ukraine shortly. Will I lose my rights in the EU?
If you need to go back to Ukraine for reasons for a short time for instance for family visits, to collect papers or to rescue family members, you don’t lose your temporary protection status. Any short visit to Ukraine should not be considered by EU countries as a decision to return voluntarily before the temporary protection ends. This means that a short trip back to Ukraine shouldn’t lead to the revocation of the residence permit and loss of rights attached to the status.

I have now temporary protection in the EU and I want to move back to Ukraine. What happens to my rights in the EU? Will I be able to come back to the EU and benefit from temporary protection?
In case of a voluntary return to Ukraine, meaning you travel back to Ukraine and you plan to stay there, the country where you enjoy temporary protection might revoke the residence permit issued and stop ensuring the rights attached to temporary protection. If you worry that your residence permit might be revoked, you are advised to contact the asylum authority in Hungary (the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing) to receive more information.

I am registered for temporary protection in one EU country, but I want to move to another because I received a job offer. The country where I want to move refuses to register me for temporary protection because I am already registered somewhere else. What shall I do?
You are free to choose the EU country in which you want to enjoy temporary protection, however, it is essential to know that you can benefit from temporary protection ONLY in one EU Member State at a time. Therefore, if you are registered in one EU country and you move to another, the country where you move to has to provide you with all the rights foreseen under temporary protection status, including registering you and providing you with a residence permit. In parallel, the residence permit issued in the first EU country and the ensuing rights will be withdrawn in the first country. If you decide to move from one EU Member State to another, you should inform the authorities of the country in which you are now registered and are enjoying temporary protection of your decision.

How can I get financial assistance?

Once you have been granted temporary protection status (plastic card), you can apply for a monthly allowance of HUF 22,800 per month per adult and HUF 13,700 per child.

To do this, you need to come in person to the labour office (“foglalkoztatási osztály” in Hungarian) of the Government office (usually belonging to the local/district state administration, “járási/kerületi hivatal”) that serves the area of your address. In order to apply for child benefit, please note that you may have to go to the family support department (“családtámogatási osztály”) of the Government Office.

In order to receive assistance, you must appear at the Government Office by the end of each month. If you have a child under the age of 6, you do not have to bring him/her with you to the Government Office to receive the allowance. If the child is over 6 years old and under 18 years old, you can come to the Government Office instead of him/her as his/her parent.

Please note that in order to be eligible for the allowance, you must be registered as a job seeker at the Government Employment Centre. You are eligible for this financial support only as long as you are unemployed, caring for a child under the age of 3, or cannot receive a pension. If, after 45 days from the first payment, the Government Office offers you a suitable job and you do not accept it, you will not be eligible for subsistence allowance either. This does not relate to childcare allowance, which you will continue to receive regardless of your employment status.

Addresses of Government offices can be found here: or find your competent labour authority at this link:

Did you know? If you are a refugee from Ukraine, your children may still be entitled to free meals at kindergarten or school!

  • If you have applied for or received Temporary Protection or you are a Hungarian national previously resident in Ukraine, and you are caring for a minor child, your child is entitled to receive free meals at nursery, kindergarten or school for at least 6 months.
  • For the first 6 months, you only have to request the free meals as a refugee from Ukraine, showing your documents as Temporary Protection applicant or status holder (or, if you are a Hungarian national, proof of your previous residence in Ukraine). Please ask the nursery, kindergarten or school that your child attends for more information about how to apply for the free meals. Usually you have to submit a request either to the nursery, kindergarten or school, or the local municipality.
  • If the 6 months of free meals has already expired, your child is entitled to receive free meals if your income in the family does not exceed HUF 200,564 per person per month (including adults and children in your family).
  • Please consult with the nursery, kindergarten or school about requesting the continuation of free meals for your child. You will have to submit the request either at the nursery, kindergarten or school, or the local municipality. In this case, you will need to fill out a form, please see the English translation of the form and information about calculating your income here. Important: please fill the form that you receive from the kindergarten/school/municipality in Hungarian, and use the English translation provided here to assist you.
  • In case you have further questions or challenges with requesting free meals, you can reach out to us via our helpline: +36 80 984 583

Where can I turn for help?
In case you need any free legal aid and counseling please contact Hungarian Helsinki Committee (HHC). Their contact details are the following:
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +361 321 4323 / +361 321 4327 / +361 321 414 (Monday/Thursday 10.00-18.00, Tuesday 10.00-17.00), Facebook page:
Link to ask questions in Facebook chat:

For Healthcare workers coming from Ukraine. I am a TP beneficiary or Hungarian national previously living in Ukraine who hold a state-recognized healthcare qualification issued by Ukraine. Am I able to work in a Hungarian healthcare institution?

Yes. TP beneficiaries and Hungarian nationals previously living in Ukraine who hold a state-recognized healthcare qualification issued by Ukraine may begin performing healthcare services in Hungary before the formal recognition of their professional qualification. However, the recognition procedure needs to be started. Until it is completed, healthcare professionals can work with the supervision of an entitled medical professional authorized to practice in Hungary.

Law: Government decree 121/2022 of 28 March

Medical services questions and answers

If you have temporary protection in Hungary, or if you are an applicant for temporary protection, you are entitled to the services mentioned below, based on the EU and national legislation. Please note that the regulation does not include any restrictions on timing, and that the services mentioned below are free of charge.

Where and how can I find a doctor in Hungary?
Finding the right doctor in your area can be a challenging process in a foreign system and therefore, we have put together some basic instructions to follow when looking for medical care.

Are you in an emergency?
If you are in urgent need of medical care or in an emergency situation, please contact the toll-free emergency numbers in Hungary.
▸ General number for emergency services: 112
▸ Ambulance: 104
▸ Police: 107
▸ Firefighters: 105

Which medical and health care services am I entitled to in Hungary if I have Temporary Protection?
You may want to know which medical and health care services you can access in Hungary if you have Temporary Protection. Please find below a list of entitlements.

Reference to different types of health services that are available for Temporary Protection applicants, Temporary Protection holders, and asylum seekers:
▸ general practitioner care
▸ examination, medical treatment, as well as medicine and bandages used in the course of the care, as part of outpatient special care used in case of urgent need
▸ inpatient hospital care used in case of urgent need, as well as medical treatment as prescribed by the doctor – including surgical interventions, as well as the medical materials and prosthetic devices used during it – medical care, medicine, bandages and meals required for the medical treatment
after outpatient specialist care or inpatient hospital treatment, until recovery from the disease or stabilization of the condition
▸ other medical aids ordered by a doctor, as well as for their repair
▸ emergency dental care and tooth-retaining treatment, provided patient treatment belonging to the lowest reimbursement category
▸ pregnancy care and maternity care, or for intervention aimed at terminating the pregnancy under the conditions specified in the Act on the Protection of Fetal Life
▸ mandatory age-related vaccinations
▸ oncology specialist care, other examinations, and medical treatment within the framework of other chronic patient care, as well as condition improvement, condition maintenance or pharmaceuticals that can be used for pain relief.

Law: Council Directive 2001/55/EC of 20 July 2001

301/2007. (XI.9.) Government Decree on the implementation of the law LXXX of 2007 on the right to asylum § 26- § 28

Which medical and health care services am I entitled to in Hungary if I am a Ukrainian citizen without Temporary Protection and Social Security Number?

Ukrainian citizens without TAJ (social security number) and without TP are also entitled to health care services:
▸ In case of acute illness and urgent need for medical treatment (medical and specialist required treatment, medication supply, hospital and rehabili-tation care, medical aids, their urgent replacement or repair) to the abso-lutely necessary extent can request it from the Hungarian state health ser-vice or from the social security body on the basis of a travel document (passport, etc.)
▸ Entitled to these benefits free of charge/subsidized in the same way as a domestic insured person.
▸ A Ukrainian citizen entitled to the free care is also entitled to the medicine necessary for this care, i.e. to a prescription of medicine. In such a case, the medicine must be ordered (prescribed) with the same subsidy as in the case of a Hungarian insured (according to the agreement). In other cases (services that cannot use for free), medicine can be prescribed at full price without subsidy.
▸ Free care can be used in all publicly funded, i.e., state, local government and church institutions (surgery, specialist surgery, hospital, clinic, institute.
▸ Oncology specialist care, other examination, and medical treatment within the framework of other chronic patient care, as well as condition improve-ment, condition maintenance or pharmaceuticals that can be used for pain relief.

Law: 7/1964. (VIII. 30.) MüM (Ministry of Labor) decree

I am a Hungarian citizen, I lived in Ukraine, and I moved to Hungary after the 24th February 2022, which medical and health care services am I entitled to in Hungary?
If you are a Hungarian citizen from Ukraine (arriving in Hungary after 24-02-2022) you are entitled for the same treatment as Temporary Protection holders.

Law: 9/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine

I am a third-country national who has been living in Ukraine before 24 February 2022. Am I entitled to free healthcare services? 

Yes. Third-country nationals who have been residing legally in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 will be treated equally to temporary protection status holders. 

Law: 9/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine 

Where and how do I find a medical doctor in Hungary?

In case you are not in an emergency but want to access medical care, PLEASE, follow the steps BELOW.

A person fleeing Ukraine can use health services included in the scope of primary health care, including primary on-call care, within the framework of the care provided by the local government of the place of residence.

The first step into the Hungarian health care system is to make an appointment with the general practitioner (GP) assigned to the location where you live. For any further specific treatment other than emergency services, you will need a prescription/ referral from a general practitioner who can also advise you, on where to access the right service.

How to find a General Practitioner according to THE place of residence?

You can search for the right general Practitioner based on your address in the below link/ tool, you can filter based on your county/ district (if in Budapest) and you will see the available GP in your area. Once you have found the right medical doctor /GP, you can find contact details and address in the file. In some apartment buildings, there is a bulletin board near the entrance, where you can find the area GP’s name, address, and visiting hours.

For more reference, you can consult the following website, however, it is only available in Hungarian: on the website, you can find downloadable Excel sheets. You can filter the file by searching for your postcode (below are direct link to the downloadable sheets):

What injuries/situations are considered as an emergency?

Life-threatening conditions and diseases that fall within the scope of urgent need may include, among others, the following:

  1. Bleeding (external or internal) that is life-threatening or involves the risk of permanent health damage.
  2. Conditions with temporary circulatory and/or respiratory arrest (e.g., embolism, , syncope, suffocation, life-threatening heart rhythm disorders,).
  3. Life-threatening endocrine and metabolic conditions;
  4. Diseases associated with the risk of central nervous system compression (e.g., brain edema, headache, dizziness, tumor, inflammation, developmental disorder, trauma)
  5. Unconscious states.
  6. Epilepsy and other symptomatic seizures.
  7. Sudden vision disturbances, loss of vision, “red eye”, eye injuries;
  8. Sepsis (infection of the blood stream).
  9. Vascular catastrophes with a high mortality or risk of serious complications.
  10. Obstetric conditions / complications (childbirth, premature birth, placental abruption, severe pregnancy toxemia, newborn care after pregnancy toxemia, acute gynecological bleeding,)
  11. Pre-shock and shock states, life-threatening allergic and anaphylactic states;
  12. Acute respiratory failure, airway narrowing)
  13. Poisonings
  14. Acute abdominal conditions (e.g., . intestinal obstruction, appendicitis, perforation, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst rupture, etc.))
  15. Severe burns)
  16. Primary wound care
  17. Acute trauma (e.g., fractures, injures)
  18. Open fractures and decollement injuries
  19. Electric shock, electro trauma
  20. Heat and cold damage
  21. Severe acute radiation damage and radiation sickness
  22. Suicide attempts and intentions, a state of immediate danger related to a mental state
  23. Acute psychological disturbances, psychoses
  24. Infectious conditions which by themselves or through their complications cause a life-threatening condition

Law: 52/2006. (XII. 28.) Ministry of Health decree on certain health services falling within the scope of urgent need

How can I talk to the doctor if I don’t speak any languages but Ukrainian/Russian?

In case a language barrier arises during health care treatment, an interpreter is available on the telephone number 1812. Interpreters are available from 8:00 AM to 18:00 PM on Monday to Friday. Please note, they are supporting only in translation and cannot /do not provide health care advice.

Law: 9/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine

How can I talk to a Ukrainian/Russian speaking doctor? Is there a Ukrainian Healthline? How to find a specialized doctor?

NN Insurer Company started a helpline in cooperation with Teladoc Hungary Tanácsadó és Szolgáltató Kft. Calls are answered by a Ukrainian-speaking operator who provides information on how those in need can access healthcare in Hungary.

Through the phone, patients can give their names, phone numbers and questions/symptoms to the operator who will forward the information to the relevant specialized doctor who speaks Ukrainian/Russian. The doctor will call back the patient.

What questions can you get information about?

  • About the health services available in Hungary, the conditions for their use,
    • On issues related to illness, medical treatment, and health preservation,
    • About the applicability, side effects and substitutability of medicines,
    • About medical, pediatric, and dental emergencies,
    • About on-call pharmacies,
    • About the availability of healthcare facilities.

Available hours are from 8.00 AM to 20.00 PM Monday to Sunday

+36 80 44 20 20

+36 1 998 0558

Is dental care provided for free?

Emergency dental care is also covered, and the below treatments are considered as emergency and being covered for people fleeing Ukraine (TPS applicants, TP status holders, TCNs and Ukrainian-Hungarian dual citizens).

Interventions within the scope of dental emergency care:

  1. Primary treatment of recent accidental injuries to teeth (replantation, splinting, medicated bonding, extraction).
  2. Acute odontogenic inflammations (trepanation, extraction).
  3. Opening of odontogenic abscess.
  4. Removal of a foreign body obstructing swallowing and/or breathing.
  5. Medicinal treatment of acute inflammatory diseases of the oral mucosa and lips.
  6. Reposition of acute mandibular luxation.
  7. Resting a freshly broken jawbone.
  8. Alleviation of a trigeminal neuralgic attack with local anesthesia.
  9. Alleviation of bleeding in the oral cavity or around the oral cavity of any origin (tampon, covering bandage, local application of drugs that increase blood coagulation, suturing).

Law: 48/1997. (XII. 17.) Ministry of Public Health decree on dental care available within the framework of compulsory health insurance, Annex No. 29/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine

Where to find supporting information on diabetes? 

 Diabhelp was created as part of the Diabryň Foundation to help people with type 1 diabetes from Ukraine to get insulin and care in Hungary. Another goal of the website is to use the work of doctors in writing prescriptions, and for pharmacies to dispense the prescribed insulin and diabetes devices. 

The website is available in Hungarian and Ukrainian language.

Are medical treatments covered and free of charge for oncology and other chronic illnesses? 

Temporary protection status holders and TPS applicants are entitled to oncology specialist care, other examination and medical treatment within the framework of other chronic patient care, as well as condition improvement, condition maintenance or pharmaceuticals that can be used for pain relief.

Law: 9/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine

Pregnancy/ Maternity Care

As a pregnant woman, do I have access to free medical care?

Yes, if you are an applicant for Temporary Protection or a beneficiary of Temporary Protection, or you are a Hungarian national previously residing in Ukraine, you have access to a wide range of free healthcare services, including obstetrician/gynecologists’ care.

The designated health provider is assigned based on your place of residence/ address, and offers the following services:

  • screening of pregnant women for infectious diseases,
  • care for pregnant women with an acute illness,
  • ensuring healthcare services for chronically ill pregnant women,
  • Providing consultations/plans for pregnant women in need of special care,
  • basic provision of pregnant care,
  • offering a referral to the obstetrics department,
  • counselling in case of other critical health issues.

To access the support of the visiting nurse “védőnő” pregnancy health visitor service, look for the county health visitor mentor based on your address or look for a specialists at this link.

Please make sure to find an obstetrician/gynaecologist in the early months of your pregnancy, to ensure that you have proper care during this period and that all relevant medical checks can be carried out. Based on your preferences and your budget, you can choose to give birth in a public or a private hospital. Please consult your obstetrician/ gynaecologist about your possibilities. You can find more information on childbirth on the website of Emma Association.


Law: 9/2022 (III.11) Individual instruction of the Minister of Human Resources on the health care of persons arriving from Ukraine 

What support is provided regarding childbirth?

Pregnant women fleeing Ukraine are entitled free of charge childbirth services with the same amount of support as the Hungarians. Free care is available in all publicly funded institutions, i.e., in state, municipal and church medical institutions. The choice of institution normally is made based on your address.

List of public obstetrics available in Hungary:

  • Budapest
    • Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Hospital and Clinic 1106 Budapest, Maglódi út 89-91.
    • Jahn Ferenc South-Pest Hospital and Clinic 1204 Budapest, Köves út 1.
    • Péterfy Hospital-Clinic 1076 Budapest, Péterfy Sándor utca 8-20.
    • South Buda Central Hospital Szent Imre University Teaching Hospital 1115 Budapest, Tétényi út 12-16.
    • North-Central Buda Center New St. John’s Hospital and Clinic 1125 Budapest, Diós Trench 1-3.
    • St. Margaret’s Hospital 1032 Budapest, Bécsi út 132.
    • Uzsoki Street Hospital 1145 Budapest, Uzsoki u. 29-41

What support can I get as a mother in Hungary?

As a pregnant woman, in addition to free healthcare, you are entitled to free prenatal care (“várandósgondozás” in Hungarian). It is carried out by the locally responsible nurse services (“védőnői szolgálat” in Hungarian). You can find a list of the nurse services here.

If you give birth in Hungary, you can be entitled to a one-time maternity support (“anyasági támogatás” in Hungarian). You are entitled to this support only if:

  • You have received prenatal care during pregnancy at least four times, or,
  • In case of premature birth, you have received the prenatal care at least one time.

You may request it at the family support unit (“családtámogatási osztály” in Hungarian) at the county-level government office within 6 months after the birth of the child. The amount is HUF 64,125, or HUF 85,500 in case of twins.

Breast milk and formula supply

In the framework of the health insurance, the infant/ baby might be entitled for support in breast milk/ formula, if the mother is unable to feed with her own milk and the baby is premature or a low birth weight (under 2,500 g body weight).

Mature newborns and infants may also be entitled to subsidized breast milk if they suffer from severe food allergies, malabsorption disorders, or developmental disorders associated with abdominal surgery and the mother is unable to feed them with her own milk.

The baby whose mother suffers from one of the below conditions, might also entitled to subsidized breast milk

  • physically unfit to breastfeed,
  • suffers from an infectious disease or poisoning that endangers the baby’s health,
  • you are taking medication that is contraindicated during breastfeeding,
  • is in a state of severe, frequent loss of consciousness,
  • her psychological condition makes breastfeeding impossible,
  • died during the breastfeeding period, or
  • abandoned the child.

In the above cases, regardless of the baby ‘s weight, the infant is entitled to free breast milk during inpatient hospital care and outpatient care based on the order of the pediatrician or family (pediatric) doctor.

How can I use the social insurance support for breast milk?

Breast milk can be obtained through the social insurance support if it is ordered by an authorized doctor. On the prescription, the legal title of the order must be indicated as “Eü priority”. With one prescription, breastmilk supply for the a month (which during the prescription was issued) can be ordered.

To order breast milk, please consult with the family doctor (GP) or your child’s pediatrician who is part of the health insurance system

What documents are issued at birth?

Before giving birth, it is important to take all your documents with you to the hospital. Once your baby is born, the hospital will register the birth and issue a birth certificate. The birth certificate will be in Hungarian, English and French. If the hospital cannot register the birth, or in case of home birth, you will have to turn to the local municipality’s civil registry office (“anyakönyvi hivatal” in Hungarian) on the first working day after the birth.

How can I register the Ukrainian citizenship of my child?

Please note that your child will not be automatically registered as a Ukrainian citizen, but “unknown” nationality will be indicated on the birth certificate. To register your child’s citizenship, you should get a certified translation of the birth certificate to Ukrainian (please see below), and contact the Embassy of Ukraine in Budapest, in person. The Ukrainian Embassy will be able to register the citizenship of the child, and issue an official document to this end. This document then has to be translated into Hungarian, again, via certified translation. You should then take the translation to the Hungarian authorities (local municipality, civil registry office) requesting the re-issuance of the birth certificate with the child’s nationality indicated as Ukrainian.

How to get an official translation?

In official /administrative proceedings, certified translations of documents are required, unless this requirement is waived. In Hungary, as a general rule, only one company is authorized to prepare certified translations, Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation (OFFI). The translation is not free of charge, but you may enquire about favorable rates for refugees from Ukraine.

Maternity allowances 

Infant care allowance (csecsemőgondozási dij, CSED) 

Due to recent legal changes Ukrainians in Hungary might be eligible for infant care allowance. The CSED, also known as the infant care allowance, is a form of family support specifically available to birth mothers during maternity leave. When applying for CSED, it is important to note that CSED is dependent on the mother’s earnings.  

You need to have continuous 180 days (about 6 months) long social insurance paid by your employer in Hungary before giving birth. If the mother applying for CSED does not have enough time of insurance, she can also apply for CSED on an equitable basis. 

Amount: 100% of your previous income, maximum monthly 281 640 HUF (808 USD)  

Duration of allowance : 168 days after giving birth, during the maternity leave. 

Eligible: mother (some cases father)  


  1. only those Ukrainian citizen women who gave birth after 1 January 2024 
  1. address can be proven by NDGAP address certification (szálláshely-bejelentő)  
  1. only employment happened on the territory of Hungary counts  
  1. applicant has to be officially/legally employed creating social insurance entitlement of at least 6 months in the last 2 years – this does not need to be continuous – and must also be raising the child in his/her own household 
  1. applicant cannot work during the period of time when she receives this allowance 

Applications can be submitted to the insured mother’s employer. In the case of an employer who has ceased to exist without legal succession, the CSED application must be submitted to the government office responsible for the place of the former employer’s registered office . The processing time for CSED applications is generally 8 days, in problematic cases up to 60 days (about 2 months). 

Application form can be submitted with GYED. 

Form in Hungarian: Csecsemőgondozási díj – CSED – Magyar Államkincstár ( 

More information in Hungarian and English: 1811   

Call Center – Magyar Államkincstár ( 

Childcare allowance (gyermekgondozási dij, GYED)  

Due to recent legal changes Ukrainians in Hungary might be eligible for childcare allowance (in short : GYED). GYED is a capped, monthly benefit linked to Hungarian social insurance based on employers social contribution from salaries.  

The GYED benefit is payable from the age of six months (168 days of maternity leave and the period for which the CSED 2023, i.e. the infant care allowance, is paid) until the child reaches the age of 2, or 3 for twins.  


GYED is up to 70% of double the amount of the minimum wage (otherwise 70% of the parent’s calendar day income is taken into account). GYED is calculated on the basis of the last 180 days of average earnings in Hungary before claiming tax (120 days are taken into account in the case of a break in social security entitlement of more than 30 days). 

The minimum wage in 2024 is HUF 266,800/month gross. 70% of double this is HUF 373,520/month gross, and this is the maximum amount, net amount of GYED 2024 is HUF 281,640. The GYED is eligible for family tax relief and, if the claimant mother is dual citizen, than she is entitled to the personal income tax exemption for women under 30 years of age, the GYED is exempt from social security contributions. 

Duration: 18 months between the maternity leave and the child’s 2nd birthday. 

Eligible: mother, father, adoptive parent, guardian 


  1. only those Ukrainian citizen women who gave birth after 1 January 2024 
  1. permanent address can be proven by NDGAP address certification (szálláshely-bejelentő)  
  1. only employment happened on the territory of Hungary counts  
  1. the applicant must have at least 365 days of social insurance entitlement in the last 2 years – this does not need to be continuous – and must also be raising the child in his/her own household. 
  1. The child cannot be placed in a day-care institution / nursery (e.g. a crèche) while receiving GYED, unless the beneficiary is  
  • employed 
  • or in full-time education in a school,  
  • vocational training institution or  
  • higher education institution. 

Form in Hungarian:  Gyermekgondozási díj – GYED – Magyar Államkincstár ( 


  • 246/2022. (VII.8.) Korm. rendelet a veszélyhelyzet alatt az ukrán állampolgárok egyes társadalombiztositási ellátásainak egyszerűsitéséről  
  • 1997. évi LXXXIII. törvény a kötelező egészségbiztosítás ellátásairól 
  • 2019. évi CXXII. törvény a társadalombiztosítás ellátásaira jogosultakról, valamint ezen ellátások fedezetéről 
  • 2012. évi I. törvény a munka törvénykönyvéről  
  • 217/1997. (XII 1.) kormányrendelet a kötelező egészségbiztosítás ellátásairól szóló 1997. évi LXXXIII. törvény végrehajtásáról 
  • 2009. évi XXIX. törvény a bejegyzett élettársi kapcsolatról, az ezzel összefüggő, valamint az élettársi viszony igazolásának megkönnyítéséhez szükséges egyes törvények módosításáról 
  • 386/2016. (XII. 2.) Korm. rendelet az egészségbiztosítási szervekről 

          Questions and answers on the procedure for the death of a family member in Hungary

          What happens after the death has occurred?

          According to Hungarian laws, the fact of death must be confirmed by a formal procedure called the determination of death. The aim of this procedure is to determine all the relevant details of the death (e.g. the cause, time, manner of the death etc.). This is conducted by the competent doctor.

          If the death occurs at the hospital, the doctor who treated the deceased will perform the examination.

          If the death occurs at home, your general practitioner or their on-call colleague will have competency. They will conduct the procedure within 4 hours of being notified at the latest. For this reason, it is your obligation to report the death to the above person as soon as you witnessed it. If the doctor determines that the circumstances of the death are unclear, they will order further examinations at a designated medical facility.

          After the procedure has been completed, the attending doctor will issue the Examination Testimonial of Death (“halottvizsgálati bizonyítvány”), which is a formal document testifying all the relevant facts. This is an important document which will be needed for the burial or transportation of the deceased.

          The attending doctor will then arrange for the transportation of the body within 6 hours of the death being established at the latest. According to the law, you have the option to choose the funeral service provider to be used for the transportation, otherwise the attending doctor will name the service provider and notify you. The costs of the transportation generally have to be covered by the family members.

          To find your general practitioner, please visit our search site.

          Do I need to procure any other official documents to arrange for the funeral?

          No, in order to bury someone in Hungary, or to transport the deceased back to their home country you only need the Examination Testimonial of Death.

          However, another official document will be issued after the death. This is called the death certificate (“halotti anyakönyvi kivonat”), which certifies that the death has occurred. It is issued by the registrar’s office (“anyakönyvi hivatal”) of the place of death. Please note that you do not need to notify the registrar, as the attending doctor will do so by forwarding them the Examination Testimonial of Death. With that, the respective administrative proceeding will start. You do not need to pay for the issue of the death certificate, as it is exempted from procedural fees by law.

          You are obliged by law to hand over any document previously issued by the Hungarian authorities to the deceased person (e.g. residence permit), and – if you have them – present any documents pertaining to the deceased’s family status (e.g. marriage certificate) to the registrar. This has to be done within 5 days of being notified that the Examination Testimonial of Death was issued.

          Can I bury the deceased in Hungary?

          Yes, you can. Currently, there are no special regulations in place for the burial of foreign nationals in Hungary. This means that you can choose the type of burial (i.e. without cremation or with cremation), the cemetery and whether to have a religious ceremony or not.

          However, if you choose burial with cremation, you will need additional documents. Firstly, you will need to obtain the permission of the foreign representation of the country of the deceased’s nationality. Secondly, you will need to procure the authorization for cremation from the public health authority of the local government office. You do not need to pay for this, as it is exempted from procedural fees by law.

          If you commission a funeral service provider, they will take care of all the necessary administrative issues before the competent authorities and arrange for the funeral itself as well.

          Can I arrange for the burial to take place in Ukraine?

          Yes, you have the right to do so. If you choose this option, you will need two additional permits. Firstly, authorisation is required from the authority of the country of destination. Secondly, you will need to procure permission from the public health authority of the Hungarian local government office. You do not need to pay for the issue of the latter permit, as it is exempted from procedural fees by law.

          Please note that there are a number of funeral service providers in Hungary who offer international funeral services as well.

          Should I also consult the Ukrainian authorities?

          Yes, you should as Ukrainian law might impose additional requirements. If a Ukrainian national dies in Hungary the consular section of the Embassy of Ukraine in Hungary can give information about necessary procedures for repatriating the remains and obtaining a burial permit in Ukraine. They can also inform you of the procedure for opening the inheritance and about measures to protect the property of the deceased.

          For more information, please visit the website of the Embassy of Ukraine.

          Does Hungary provide financial support for the organization of funeral procedures?

          No, unfortunately, there is no general aid introduced in Hungary to this end. However, municipalities (“önkormányzat”) have the option to establish local funeral aids on a social need basis. Each municipality regulates the conditions of such support, if available. Therefore, the exact criteria for receiving local funeral aid varies by municipality. It is advisable that you contact your local municipality for more information.

          What happens when you are in no position to organise the funeral?

          Under Hungarian law, the following persons, in the order they are mentioned, are obliged to arrange the funeral: (a) who is bound by a contract to do so (e.g. funeral service provider), (b) who is bound by the will of the deceased, (c) spouse or partner living with the deceased before their death and (d) other close relatives.

          If there is no such person, or they reside in an unknown place or if they fail to fulfil this obligation, the mayor of the municipality of the place of death will arrange the burial.

          Please note that if this happens before the deceased’s application for protection (for refugee status or temporary protection) has been decided, the Hungarian state will bear the costs of the funeral, otherwise, the municipality has the right to seek compensation from the above persons.

          Transportation: trains and public transport


          I am a Ukrainian citizen and just arrived at the Zahony train station at the Hungarian – Ukrainian border, can I travel for free to Budapest?

          The Hungarian State Railway Company (MAV) published detailed information applicable to Ukrainian citizens traveling across Hungary, please access the Website in Ukrainian and in Hungarian here.

          If you just arrived at the Hungarian-Ukrainian border you can travel for free on the following routes in a second-class carriage:

          • Departure can only be from the Záhony – Nyíregyháza section, Hidasnémeti/ Nyírábrány/ Biharkeresztes /Lőkösháza stations and Budapest-Keleti/ Budapest-Nyugati/ Budapest-Déli/Kőbánya-Kispest/ Budapest-Kelenföld.
          • Destination can be only Budapest-Keleti/ Budapest-Nyugati/Zugló/Kőbánya-Kispest/Budapest-Kelenföld/Hegyeshalom/Szob stations.
          • Solidarity ticket for journey from a Budapest departure location to a Budapest destination cannot be purchased.  

          The Solidarity ticket can only be obtained at the cash desks at the departure stations listed above upon departure from the station or, in the case of crossing the border by train, on board the relevant trains, upon presentation of the appropriate ID.

          I am a Ukrainian citizen, and I would like to travel to another EU country, is it for free?

          If you are planning to travel to other countries in the EU as a non-EU citizen, please make sure that you have the necessary travel document (a biometric passport in case of Ukrainian citizenship or necessary visa in case of other nationalities).  

          Please note that not all EU countries are offering free travel for Ukrainian citizens. To leave Hungary, you need to buy an international ticket to countries that do NOT offer free travel.  We recommend that you buy your international ticket at the major railway stations in Budapest. Trains to Vienna and Munich depart from Budapest-Keleti. Trains to Bratislava, Prague, Berlin and Poland from Budapest-Nyugati railway station.

          More information on travel and stay in other EU countries can be found on this website:

          You can also find information about railway transportation in Germany here:

          Is public transportation in Hungary free for Ukrainian citizens?

          Trips other than the ones where solidarity can be obtained are NOT free for Ukrainian citizens in Hungary. However, discounts in accordance with Government Decree 85/2007 and the tariff of the Railway Company are available, the most important of which are:

          Who is eligible for the discount?What is needed for the discount?% of travel discount?
          Refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection above 65 yoID and document certifying legal status (residence permit and certificate and ID document issued for foreigners, all together)100% discount on 2nd class
          Child, younger than 6 yo, with adult accompanying her/him Can travel without certificate100% discount on 1st or 2nd class
          Child from 6 to 14 yoID or any other document suitable for identification or any document / certificate clearly showing the age of the child50% discount on 2nd class
          Person younger than 26 yoID or any other document suitable for identification33% discount 2nd class as of Friday 10:00 until Sunday 24:00, except for some national holidays
          Smaller families: one or more children under 18 yo with one or two adult (group discount). Children are eligible for discount based on their age or discount certificate.Document suitable for identification or document, certificate clearly showing the age of the child33% discount on 2nd class
          Bigger families with at least 3 children and their parent(s) traveling together (group discount).
          Members of the family in terms of travel discount: Parent(s), Children under 18 yo, Child under 26 yo having a valid student card while being in full-time education Child, regardless of age, if higher amount of family allowance is due in her/his relation and this is confirmed by the place of payment.
          Document suitable for identification (student card or card issued by MAK – Hungarian State Treasury – on higher amount of family allowance due to disability or chronic illness)90% discount on 2nd class

          I would like to plan my journey from Ukraine to Hungary and across Hungary, where can I find up to date information?

          To plan your journey, see departure times and get more information, please visit the website of the Hungarian State Railway Company here. Please note that the Hungarian State Railway Company announced potential delays or cancelations of cross-border trains due to increased travel and necessary inspections by border authorities.

          Tickets can be purchased in the MÁV app, on the website, at any ticket machine and at the cash desk.

          Do I have access to free public transportation in Budapest?

          The Budapest Transport Centre has extended the possibility of free travel for refugees from Ukraine until 30 June 2023.

          The service is available for refugees if they have any official Ukrainian travel document:

          ✅ Ukrainian foreign or internal passport

          ✅ residence permit in Ukraine 

          ✅ Ukrainian student card for foreign students studying in Ukraine 

          ✅ Any document confirming the registration of foreign citizens residing in Ukraine 

          Documents entitling to free travel will continue to be accepted on BKK flights, with the following exceptions: 

          ❌ airport express 100E 

          ❌ funicular 

          ❌ nostalgic flights 

          ❌ boats 

          ❌ HÉV outside Budapest 

          ❌ “blue” buses outside Budapest 

          The Budapest Transport Centre continues to work to ease the situation of refugees from Ukraine as much as possible. 

          Pets questions and answers

          I want to bring my pet to Hungary from Ukraine. What shall I do and what documents I shall have when crossing the border?

           According to the information published on the website of the National Food Chain Safety Office (NÉBIH) in Hungarian, Ukrainian and English, due to the rabies outbreaks near the Ukrainian border, it was necessary to strengthen the rules, so from 23 January 2023, only microchipped companion animals with a valid rabies vaccination will be allowed to enter.

          Ukraine has been classified as a “country of concern” for rabies zoonoses, which imposes strict conditions on the movement of companion animals. Due to the cases of rabies in foxes and stray dogs near the Ukrainian border, the Hungarian veterinary authority decided to tighten its procedures for facilitated entry, which were imposed by the Hungarian veterinary authority last year. Pending further action, the Hungarian veterinary authority is ordering that provision be made for the movement of companion animals from Ukraine to Hungary:

          –        a microchip for the identification of the animals, and

          –        a document certifying the required preventive vaccination against rabies.

          Please be informed that these conditions are still a relaxation of the legal requirements for non-commercial entry and therefore it is still necessary to complete the registration form, which can be downloaded from the authority’s website.

          Do you still have questions on entitlements or other issues?
          Please contact our UNHCR Refugee Hotline for free: +36 80 984 583, open from Monday – Friday, 08.00 – 17.00.