General services

The below organizations offer general services to asylum seekers in the Netherlands:

Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND)

The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) of the Ministry of Justice and Security processes and decides upon asylum applications in the Netherlands on behalf of the Dutch government. Other procedures, such as family reunification and naturalization are also decided upon by the IND.

The website of the IND contains useful information regarding your asylum procedure in the Netherlands, and provides answers to frequently asked questions. If you wish to contact the IND about your case, the best way to do so would be to get in touch with your IND contact person. If you do not yet have a contact person or if you do not know who your contact person is, you can call the IND at 088 043 0430 (+31 88 043 0430 if you’re calling from abroad) or complete the contact form on their website.

VluchtelingenWerk Nederland (VWN) &

The Dutch Council for Refugees is an organization aimed at protecting the interests of refugees and asylum-seekers in the Netherlands. Their professional staff and many volunteers are committed to assisting asylum-seekers and refugees. You can contact them for advice and assistance, for example for:

  • Information on procedures, reception and integration;
  • Legal advice and advocacy in your asylum procedure or family reunification procedure; and
  • Personal support and guidance.

You can find the office closest to you, and the contact information of that office, on their platform As well as contact information, the website contains information aimed at refugees and asylum-seekers in the Netherlands in many different languages. For example, information on the asylum procedure in the Netherlands, integration, education and family reunification.

Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum-Seekers (COA)

The Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA) provides reception during the asylum procedure on behalf of the Dutch government. Reception consists of accommodation, meals (or compensation to buy groceries), a daily allowance, guidance and access to medical care. COA is best placed to assist you in any questions relating to these topics.

You can contact COA by going to the info desk at your reception center (AZC). You can find more information about COA on their website.

Related information

Browse the ‘Where to seek help?’ section to find information about other helpful services in the Netherlands
Asylum process in the Netherlands