In the Netherlands, the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) has the responsibility to process asylum claims and decide whether a person is in need of protection and can therefore receive a residence permit in the Netherlands.
Therefore, UNHCR the Netherlands does not register refugees, issue refugee documents or arrange accommodation. Additionally, UNHCR the Netherlands does not identify refugees for resettlement to the Netherlands or other countries.
UNHCR the Netherlands does
- Monitor the government’s compliance with international standards of refugee law;
- Monitor the standard of reception conditions for asylum-seekers in the Netherlands;
- Discuss the issues relating to the Dutch asylum framework with the Dutch asylum authorities (IND, COA, DT&V, etc.);
- Advocate for swift access to fair and efficient asylum procedures; and
- Raise awareness for topics related to the rights of refugees and asylum-seekers, sometimes in cooperation with other organisations.
Please call our general or legal enquiries line or email us if you have questions about our work, want to report concerns, wish to receive general information on procedures in the Netherlands or think UNHCR might be able to assist in your or your family’s asylum or family reunification procedure in the Netherlands.
We are available from Monday to Fridays between 09.00 – 12.00. We can be reached outside these hours via email on [email protected].
Please note that for reasons of capacity, UNHCR does not offer individual advice for refugees and asylum seekers on its premises. If you need personal support or guidance find the address of the of Dutch Council for Refugees (Vluchtelingenwerk Nederland) office closest to you via this link.
In addition, UNHCR the Netherlands cannot suggest any persons for resettlement to third countries such as Australia, Canada or the United States of America. Additionally, UNHCR the Netherlands does not identify refugees for resettlement to the Netherlands or other countries.
Everything you tell UNHCR will be treated confidentially. All the services provided by UNHCR are free of charge.