In addition to the information on UNHCR’s Help website, you can contact UNHCR Türkiye through our Counselling Line at 444 48 68 for more information on asylum procedures and/or to seek support for any medical or specific needs that require immediate support. Information and counselling are not yet available in Ukrainian, but English, Russian and Turkish are available. The Counselling Line runs Monday to Thursday from 09:00 until 17:00 and Friday from 09:00 until 16:00. You may also reach UNHCR via e-mail at [email protected].
You may also contact the Counselling Line (YIMER) of the Presidency of Migration Management (PMM) at 157, which runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week and does offer counselling in seven languages including Russian.
Asylum and International Protection in Türkiye
The State of Türkiye is the principal provider of protection in Türkiye . The Presidency of Migration Management (PMM) is the national institution responsible for procedures pertaining to foreigners present in Türkiye . The national legal framework covers foreigners who reside in Türkiye with a residence permit and those seeking asylum in Türkiye .
As a Ukrainian national or a national of a different country with refugee or permanent residence status in Ukraine, if you plan to seek asylum in Türkiye or plan to apply for a residence permit, you should approach the nearest Provincial Directorate for Migration Management in person for registration as soon as possible following your arrival in Türkiye . Registration is an important first step for foreigners in Türkiye as it forms the legal basis for your stay in Türkiye and allows you access to public services and assistance. During the registration with the Migration Management, please indicate if you or your family members have any urgent medical or specific needs.
Detailed information on the asylum procedures in Türkiye is available in Russian .
Staying safe while seeking asylum
There are many that will want to help you, but not everyone is who they say they are. There are persons who want to take advantage of your situation. For example, they may promise you accommodation, transport, or free food, and use this to pressure you into sexual acts, work, or services you do not agree with. Or they may want to harm you or take your belongings.
There are steps you can take to stay safe:
- Be alert and follow your own intuition about people you don’t know.
- Always hold onto your documents and do not hand over your documents to third persons. Take copies of them on your phone and send them to someone you trust.
- Do not hand over your communication devices (phones, laptops, etc.) to individuals offering support
- Be wary of people promising to help you get registered, relocated, or resettled to another country in exchange for money or any other favors.
- Do not follow persons who want to remove you from your family or others with whom you are traveling
- Use organized transportation by known providers, to the extent possible
- All UNHCR services are free of charge. Do not trust anyone or any organization asking you to pay for the services of UNHCR or its partners. If money or any other form of favours, including of a sexual nature, is requested from you, you should report and/or the nearest police station immediately.
- Keep in touch with your family and other people you trust.
- Know your rights and where you can access help.
- Seek reliable information from trusted sources.
Resettlement to third countries
Resettlement is a solution that enables vulnerable refugees to move from their country of asylum to another country, where they will receive protection and assistance with prospects of long-term residence. UNHCR works with the Turkish Government and third countries to find durable solutions in the form of resettlement for the most vulnerable refugees who are facing protection risks in Türkiye . Based on Türkiye ’s national legislation, Ukrainians are not currently considered for resettlement, as it is a solution currently opened for refugees coming from non-European countries, including but not limited to Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan. If you are pursuing other pathways to depart Türkiye , you will need to follow-up directly with relevant Embassies.
Suggested counselling/Q&A content – Ukrainian situation
- What is the procedure for Ukrainian nationals and other nationals with refugee or permanent residence status in Ukraine to seek asylum in Türkiye ?
- According to Türkiye ’s Foreigners and International Protection Law, Ukrainian nationals may approach the Provincial Directorates of Migration Management (PDMM) to submit an international protection application within a reasonable time following their entry into Türkiye .
- PDMMs may conduct a registration interview at the time of your application or may give you an appointment date in the future.
- During the registration interview, you must provide accurate information and will be asked to submit any documents you may have. During the interview, you will be asked to provide information including the reasons for arriving into Türkiye , the events you have experienced while leaving Ukraine and since then. All information you provide will be kept confidential.
- After the registration you will be given an international protection applicant ID card. You will be asked to comply with the obligations, including signature duty on a regular basis, which will be outlined by the PDMM you were registered with.
- It is very important that you comply with the rules of the country and your obligations during your stay in Türkiye . In case of noncompliance, you may face legal consequences.
- How can I legalize my stay in Türkiye ?
- If you entered Türkiye through conventional ways with a valid document such as passport, as a Ukrainian national you have a 90-day visa exemption period that give you a right of residence in Türkiye during that period. Individuals who wish to stay in Türkiye beyond those 90 days should approach the PDMMs before the end of this period. PDMMs will inform you on the residence permit options and asylum procedures. If you entered Türkiye irregularly, you should also approach PDMMs within a reasonable time to regularize your presence in the country.
- How can I convert my residence permit or tourist visa to an International Protection application?
If you already have a residence permit in Türkiye and wish to apply for international protection, you need to approach the nearest PDMM and inform them of your intention. [See question one for details on the process].
- Can UNHCR help me travel to a third country/USA/UK/Canada?
Resettlement is a solution that enables vulnerable refugees to move from their country of asylum to another country, where they will receive protection and assistance with prospects of long-term residence. UNHCR works with the Turkish Government and third countries to find durable solutions in the form of third country resettlement for the most vulnerable refugees who are facing protection risks in Türkiye . Based on Türkiye ’s national legislation, resettlement is currently a solution for refugees coming from non-European countries, including but not limited to Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.