In case of an emergency, you can call the UNHCR hotline:
+7 (903) 792-22-79 [WhatsApp, Viber]
Role of UNHCR in Russia
The role of UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) in the Russian Federation is to assist the government in finding solutions to the situation of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless persons through expert support, training programs and funding a number of projects aimed at assisting persons of concern to UNHCR, in particular, legal counselling and social support to persons with special needs.
UNHCR and partners assist persons who are granted refugee status and temporary asylum to integrate in Russia. UNHCR also helps asylum seekers and refugees to repatriate to their country of origin if they wish to do so, provided that the return will take place in safety and dignity.
All services of UNHCR and its partner organizations are FREE.
Any person or organization offering access to UNHCR and partner organization services for money or favours should be reported to UNHCR immediately.
Asylum seekers approaching UNHCR and partner organizations are provided with general information on the national asylum procedure. Applicants can get more information and qualified legal assistance on asylum issues in the Russian Federation from UNHCR partners. Especially vulnerable individuals may be offered additional social support.
You should contact UNHCR or partner organizations in the following situations:
- If you have been denied access to the national asylum procedure by the territorial branch of the MOI Migration Department;
- If you have received a negative decision on your refugee or temporary asylum application;
- If you fear being returned to your country of origin before your asylum application is reviewed or before your appeal is decided;
- Having been recognized as a refugee or having obtained temporary asylum, as well as having exhausted the asylum procedure, you wish to return to your country of origin;
- If you have been granted refugee status or temporary asylum status and need assistance with obtaining a more permanent legal status in the Russian Federation (temporary residence permit, residence permit or naturalization);
- If you consider yourself to be in a situation of statelessness or find it difficult to determine your citizenship