Education for children

In Belgium, there is compulsory education for children who reside on the territory (regularly or irregularly) from 6 to 18 years old.

Children can be enrolled in a preparatory ‘reception class’ according to his or her language ability and educational level, if the school has one. Once sufficient language and general skills have been acquired, they should be oriented into the regular education system.

As a parent, you must ensure that your child attends school. The reception centre where you are staying during the time of your international protection procedure can provide suitable support. There are reception centres where the staff organizes ‘homework classes’ to help your children with their school tasks. More information on education for children can be found here.

Education for adults

As an applicant of international protection, you can enroll for a Dutch or French language course with some institutions, such as Huis van het Nederlands, Enseignement Promotion et Formation Continue (EPFC) and organizations involved in Integration.

Recognized refugees are also allowed to study at universities and colleges and can sometimes benefit from scholarships. More information can be found here:

Als u voor uw aankomst in België in een ander land studies hebt aangevangen, kunt u zich aan een universiteit of hogeschool in België inschrijven zonder te vragen om erkenning van uw eerdere studies, behalve in bepaalde omstandigheden. Meer informatie is te vinden op de website van de universiteit of hogeschool waar u zich wilt aanmelden. 

See also

<< Back to homepage Belgium
>> Choose another country on our help page