UNHCR in the UK does not provide legal advice. You can find more information about where to find legal advice in this page.
Legal assistance in the UK is provided through private solicitors, legal advisors or through specialised agencies that may be able to provide their services free of charge under the Legal Aid scheme. You can find more information about what legal aid is, in the UK Government website: Legal Aid.
If you are in England or Wales, you can find solicitors near you on the Law Society website.
If you are in Scotland, you can find solicitors near you on the Law Society of Scotland website.
If you are in Northern Ireland, please see the Law Society of Northern Ireland to find solicitors near you.
You may also want to search the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Adviser finder database, available on the UK’s Government Services website.
Once instructed, your legal representatives may contact UNHCR in the UK if they consider it necessary to request assistance on specific issues and they should provide any relevant supporting documentation on the case, when doing so.
Some alternative specialised agencies that may be useful include:
- Citizens Advice provide free advice to all members of the public on matters including benefits, housing, family law and immigration.
For more information, you can visit their website.
- Praxis provides expert support to migrants and refugees in the UK on both immigration and housing matters.
- For more information on how to get help, you can visit their website.
UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group (U
- UKLGIG supports LGBTQI+ people through the asylum and immigration system. Their advice line is 020 7922 7811, and it operates on weekdays during office hours. Their address is 32-36 Loman Street, Southwark, London SE1 0EH. For more information, you can visit their website.
- ATLEU provides direct legal support to survivors of trafficking and slavery.
- They are only seeing clients by appointment currently—for more information on how to make an appointment, you can visit their website.