Family Reunion Application

Family unity is an important human right. If you were separated from your family before or during your flight, you may apply for them to join you in the UK, under specific conditions. Whether your family can join you ultimately depends on the type of legal status you are granted and the nature of your relationship.

Family reunion applications are handled by the UK Home Office, which is a UK government authority.

Who is eligible to make a Family Reunion Application? ⬇️

If you are a refugee or have 5 years’ humanitarian protection or settlement on protection grounds in the UK, you can submit a Family Reunion application to the Home Office to request to be reunited with your family who are outside the UK.

Note, this application is primarily designed for ‘immediate’ family members – i.e. spouses or unmarried children under 18.

If you have relatives abroad that are not ‘immediate’ members and are classified as ‘extended’ members – i.e. siblings, parents, and children over 18, there are other applications available for them to come to the UK.

For more information on Family Reunion, please refer to the official UK Home Office guidance.

How to apply for Family Reunion? ⬇️

Applications for Refugee Family Reunion are submitted to the UK Home Office and not UNHCR in the UK. We are not involved with the decision-making process, and we cannot speed up the process.

You must apply online on this UK Government’s webpage. You’ll be told what documents you need to provide when you apply.

You can contact the Home Office for help with:

Who can help you in the Family Reunion process? ⬇️

If you are looking to apply for family reunion, we advise you to seek legal advice – more information can be found in the ‘Legal Assistance’ section.

The British Red Cross may be able to offer support with your application if you:

  • live in London, Leeds, Liverpool, Preston, Plymouth or Glasgow
  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection
  • want to bring your wife, husband, partner or children to the UK from other countries.

You could get support from the British Red Cross with family reunion visa applications, collecting evidence, completing forms and travel assistance (arranging flights for your family to join you).

For more information on how to contact them please see:

If you do not know where your family is and would like to help to find them, you can contact the British Red Cross Family Tracing Service. For information on the Service, please see this Red Cross webpage.

Related information

<< Back to UK homepage >> Select another country on our Help page