Applying for family reunification

How can I apply for family reunification if a close family member was granted temporary collective protection in Norway?

If you are a close family member of a person who fled Ukraine and qualifies for temporary collective protection, then you can be granted temporary collective protection, regardless of your nationality.

A close family member of a person who fled Ukraine may be a:

  • Spouse
  • Cohabitant
  • Children under the age of 18
  • Other family members who, before 24 February 2022, were part of the same household as the person receiving temporary collective protection (examples of other family members might be children over the age of 18, grandparents or siblings)

If you do not belong to one of these categories but want to apply for family reunification in Norway, then you have to go through the regular Family Immigration procedures

Click on the below links to watch videos about the family reunification process in Norway.

The Norwegian Directorate for Immigration (UDI) processes family immigration/reunification cases.

ATTENTION! The Family Reunification process is not free of charge. Read more about this here.

There is also an income requirement for the family member living in Norway. You can read more about that here.

How can I apply for family reunification if a close family member was granted asylum in Norway?

If your family member was granted asylum (protection) in Norway as a refugee, you can apply for family reunification without the income requirement, providing that you meet two application deadlines.

  1. You, as the person applying for family reunification from outside Norway, must register your application on UDI’s website within six months of your family member in Norway being granted a residence permit. You must also pay a fee when registering your application.
  2. You will then be informed where you need to go to hand in the documents required in the country you are in. You must hand in the papers personally. You must hand in the papers within one year after your family member has been granted their residence permit in Norway.

To apply for family immigration or family reunification, go to

Where can I find legal help for the family reunification process?

The Norwegian Organisation for Asylum Seekers (NOAS) offers free legal aid in Family Immigration / Reunification cases.

I need help to find a missing family member in another country (family tracing)

If you have lost contact with your family members and want help finding them, you can contact the Norwegian Red Cross.

You can e-mail them:

  • By Email: [email protected]
  • By Phone: call them at +47 22 05 40 00.
  • In-person: visit their office at this address: Hausmannsgate 7, 0186 Oslo

Their services are free and confidential!

UNHCR does not provide family tracing services.

<< Back to Help Norway homepage >> Select another country on our Help homepage