Housing and accommodation

Hungary has a winter eviction moratorium from 15 November to 30 April. This means that no one can be evicted from the apartment they live in. Eviction is usually due to rent or utility (electricity/heating/water) arrears.

The winter eviction moratorium applies only to residents who live in a property classified as “residential” (e.g. an apartment, a dwelling house). It does not apply to people living in worker’s hostels, other hostels, hotels, hostels, pensions, so they can be evicted by the landlord during this period if they do not pay the required fee or if they endanger others.

You can find out more about the exceptions and details on the Utcajogász website or, if you have a housing-related legal question, you can contact Utcajogász here:

– by phone on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 17-19 on +36 20 282 3616

– by email: [email protected]

– In person: every Friday between 15-17 at Rákóczi Square (near the metro exit).

The above consultation is available in Hungarian. In case of personal counselling, it is recommended to take all documents related to the case with you. Interpretation into Ukrainian is provided by the staff and volunteers of the UNHCR-IOM Info and Community Center (1052 Budapest, Bárczi István u. 1-3). The centre is open in person from 8.00 to 20.00 Monday to Saturday, and from 12.00 to 19.00 on Sundays (except on public holidays in Hungary).

Among other things, our freephone helpline staff, who speak Ukrainian, Hungarian and English, are available on +36 80 984 583 (Monday to Friday, 8.00-17.00) to help with the eviction moratorium.


In Hungary there is a winter eviction moratorium from 15 November to 30 April. This means that no one can be evicted from the apartment they live in. Eviction is usually due to unpaid rent or utility (electricity/heating/water) debts.

It is important to note that eviction can only take place legally, through enforcement proceedings by a bailiff. If an eviction is attempted without enforcement proceedings and without the involvement of a bailiff (e.g. by threatening violence or removing the front door), the eviction is illegal.

The enforcement ban only applies to eviction by bailiffs. These enforcement proceedings may continue after the period of the ban.

The winter moratorium on evictions applies only to individuals living in residential property.

Under Hungarian law, a property registered in the land register as a dwelling house or dwelling, or a dwelling or farm building listed as a farmhouse, is considered residential property.

The winter eviction moratorium therefore does not apply to shelters, hostels, hotels and other similar accommodation, as they are not considered as residential property. In the case of such accommodation, the rules of the specific housing rules or the general terms and conditions of the contract may govern the occupancy and termination of the occupancy, and not the rules of the Enforcement Act.

During the winter eviction moratorium, you can be evicted from your home in the following cases :

  • the tenant has occupied the dwelling arbitrarily (without a contract),
  • the tenant has already been fined in enforcement proceedings,
  • the tenant has other property to move into,
  • the owner of the dwelling is providing accommodation for the duration of the moratorium,
  • the owner is likely to be unable to secure his/her accommodation without vacating the accommodation. Of course, this cannot be invoked by companies, only by individuals.

Contrary to a common misconception, families with children can be evicted outside the eviction moratorium period in the same way as families without children.

This information material has been prepared with the assistance of a representative of the Utcajogász.

If you are fleeing from Ukraine as a result of the war, the content below does not apply to you. Please refer to the below pages for more information:
▸ Information for New Arrivals from Ukraine
▸ Temporary Protection

As a refugee or a beneficiary of subsidiary protection, also as a tolerated status holder, you can spend up to 30 days in the asylum centre after receiving the status decision. After the 30 days expire, the immigration authority (National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing, called “OIF” in Hungarian) gives you a written statement indicating that you must leave the camp.  

During these 30 days, among other tasks – such as obtaining necessary ID, health insurance and tax documents – you will need to find housing opportunities. Social workers of the centre should be of assistance in this.  

The below organizations can possibly provide support or advice in finding accommodation/housing or shelter opportunities, however, it is not guaranteed that they will be able to assist in all cases.

  • Hungarian Red Cross – you can email them at [email protected] and call: +36 1 374 1374 or visit  this site for the contact details of local branches
  • Migration Aid – for accommodation in Budapest, you can email them at [email protected] or call: + 36 30 146 6508, for accommodation in Győr you can email them at [email protected] or call: + 36 30 592 8066
  • Hungarian Interchurch Aid Support Center – you can call them on: +36 70 504 3154
  • Caritas Hungary – Hungarian Catholic Church – you can email them at [email protected] or call: +36 1 372 0910
  • Charity Service of the Order of Malta – you can email them at [email protected]
  • Next Step Hungary Association – you can email them at [email protected] or call: +36 70 323 7552
  • From Streets to Homes Association – you can email them at [email protected]
  • IOM Hungary – you can email them at [email protected] or call: +36 80 984 544
  • Menedék Association – you can contact them at Contact | Menedék (menedek.hu)
  • Lutheran Diaconia – you can email Júlia Andrási, social worker at [email protected]
  • Baptist Integration Centre – you can email them at [email protected] or call this number: +36 1 4665978
  • Oltalom Foundation – you can email them at [email protected] or call: +36 1 210 5400 (then typing or asking for extension 201) or visit this site in English
  • Jesuit Refugee Service – email at [email protected], or call +36 30 198 8929 (Monday-Friday between 9.00-17.00)
  • Kalunba Charity – you can email them at [email protected]