Rights and obligations of recognised refugees

After being granted international protection in Greece (as a refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection) you will be provided with a Residence Permit that is valid for three years, which may be renewed. You have the right to apply for travel documents.

You will have access to work, education, social welfare and medical care.

If you are granted refugee status, you can apply for family reunification under certain criteria. Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection do not have this right.

The Greek Asylum Service provides detailed information about international protection in Greece here.

If you are granted refugee or subsidiary protection status in Greece:

  • You maintain all the rights and obligations you had as an asylum seeker.
  • You will receive a residence permit that is valid for three years.
  • You can apply for a travel document that allows you to visit other countries as a tourist. You cannot stay in another European country for more than 90 days.
  • You can apply for a long-term residency permit after you complete 5 years οf legal and permanent stay in the country and if you fulfil all conditions.
  • You will have access to a full range of educational services including schools, universities, and vocational training programmes.
  • You have the right to practice a liberal profession, work as a freelance professional or open your own business.
  • You have access to welfare benefits under the same conditions as Greek nationals.
  • If you are a recognised refugee, you have the right to be reunited with your family members who are in your country of origin or in another third country. If you are a subsidiary protection beneficiary, you do not have this right.
  • You can apply for Greek citizenship after you have lived continuously and legally for at least 3 years in the country if you are a recognised refugee and 7 years if you are a beneficiary of subsidiary protection and if you fulfil relevant conditions of social integration that are stipulated in law.