Recognized refugees in Brazil are entitled to receive the “Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório” (National Migration Registration Card), which is the former “Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros – RNE” (Registry of Foreigners – RNE), the “Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social – CTPS” (Work and Social Security Card”), the “Cadastro de Pessoa Física – CPF” (Individual Tax Identification Number) and a travel document (passport).

Asylum seekers have the right to obtain the Temporary Protocol valid for one year and renewable for the same period, a temporary work permit (CTPS), as well as an Individual Tax Identification Number (CPF).

Provisional Protocol

Every asylum seeker will receive a Provisional Protocol valid for 1 year and renewable until CONARE’s final decision on that asylum request. This will be your identity document in Brazil. It serves as proof of your regular migratory situation and that you can not be returned to a country where your life is endangered. With this protocol, you will be able to obtain a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho – CTPS), a Brazilian Tax Number (Cadastro de Pessoa Física – CPFand the right to access all available public services in Brazil. According to the Brazilian Law, the Protocol is a valid document throughout national territory and it proves that you are legally entitled to be in Brazil.

Even though this is an official document, it might be a challenge sometimes for an average Brazilian to recognize it as a valid document, as the Provisional Protocol is very different from the documents owned by Brazilian nationals. If you face any problem to access services and rights with this document, please contact the Federal Public Defender’s Office (DPU) or UNHCR’s partner organizations.

In order for the Provisional Protocol to remain valid and so that you can work legally, it is necessary to renew it at the Federal Police every year. Asylum seekers who do not renew the Protocol within this deadline might have their claims archived. Be aware of the renovation date noted on your protocol and present yourself at a Federal Police station before this date.

Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório (National Immigration Registry Card)

An asylum seeker that has had his/her refugee status recognized in Brazil has the right to obtain the National Immigration Registry Card (former National Registration of Foreigners – RNE), an identification document for foreigners in Brazil. The issuing and the renewing of the Card/RNE are made at any Federal Police Department (If you are in São Paulo, go to the unit located at Rua Hugo D’Antola, 95 – Lapa de Baixo, phone: 11 3538-5000). Pay close attention to the expiration date of your Card/RNE. The renewal must be done 3 (three) months prior to the expiration date of your former document, at any Federal Police station.

  • For procedures click here (Portuguese)
  • In case you get stolen or lose your Card/RNE please refer to the section on safety

For confidentiality reasons, the document you carry as a refugee does not list your migratory status as “refugee”, but rather uses the category “resident” according to the Brazilian Refugee Law (9747/1997).

Step by Step instructions on the Card/RNE application and renewal procedure:

  1. Request a statement on your status as a refugee to CONARE, if it is the first time you request the issuance of the National Immigration Registry Card through the e-mail [email protected]. For renewal or duplicate of the Card/ RNE, request the certificate by the electronic mail: [email protected]. In case of renewal, the refugee must request the certificate from CONARE three months in advance of the expiration of the Card/RNE.
  2. Complete an application form available at the Federal Police website:;
  3. Schedule an appointment:
  4. Go to the Federal Police Department with the following documents:
  • Two 3cm x 4cm photos (the photos must be identical, recent, colored, facing forward, with a white background and no date)
  • Filled application form from the Federal Police website (
  • Original Application Protocol (only for those who are applying for the first time)
  • Original National Registration of Foreigners (only for those who wish to renew their document)
  • CONARE’s Declaration recognizing the refugee status in Brazil
  • Only in the case of a duplicate document (for loss or theft) will be charged an issue fee


  1. Foreigners under 18 must present themselves accompanied by his/her parents or legal guardian.
  2. In case of theft/loss of the Card/RNE, the refugee must, first of all, go to any Civil Police station to register a Police Report (‘Boletim de Ocorrência’ – BO) of the theft/loss. Once this is done, the foreigner must attend the Federal Police Department carrying the Police Report and the documents mentioned above (item 4), and request another Card/RNE. In the case of loss of the Card/RNE, a fee will be charged at a higher value than that charged in the case of renewal.
  3. The refugee should not incur any penalties or fines should he/she fail to meet the required deadline.
  4. Refugees who have obtained permanent residence, or who are disabled or over 60 years of age are exempt from the renewal of the Card/RNE, even after its expiration.

For further information, please contact the Federal Police through the number 194 or through the email [email protected], or contact the civil society organizations that assist refugees.

Certidão de Confirmação da Condição de Refugiado (Refugee Condition Confirmation Certificate)

If you need a certificate issued by CONARE confirming your refugee status, you must complete the Refugee Status Confirmation Certificate Application Form.

Upon completion, you must register with SEI and follow the instructions. To register you must have a copy of RNE or CNRM.

The certificate takes up to 7 business days to ship and is valid for 90 days from date of shipment.

To follow your process, simply send an email to [email protected] with photo / readable copy of your Refugee Condition Recognition Request Protocol.

If the applicant does not have access to the online form, he / she may go in person to:

Coordenação-Geral do Comitê Nacional para os Refugiados in Brasília
Office hours:
Monday to Friday from 9h to 17h.
Address: Ministério da Justiça – Esplanada dos Ministérios, Bloco T – Anexo II. 70064-900 – Brasília-DF.

Coordenação-Geral do Comitê Nacional para os Refugiados in São Paulo
Office hours: Monday to Friday from 9h to 16h30
Address: Rua Otto de Alencar, 270, Liberdade. 01517-000 – São Paulo-SP.

Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS (Work permit)

Both asylum seekers and refugees have the right to work in Brazil. The Work Permit and Social Security (CTPS) is the document that verifies all the functional living of the worker. This document is mandatory for exercising professional activities and can be requested by anyone over 14 years old, national or foreigner, with regular residence in Brazil.

If you want to request or renew a Work Permit and Social Security (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social – CTPS) you should visit the nearest Regional Superintendence of Labour and Employment (Superintendência Regional do Trabalho e Emprego – SRTE) or the Regional Administration closest to you, with all the required documents. Information on the location of the closest services can be obtained through the telephone 158 at the Call Center “Alô Trabalho”. You can only obtain a CTPS if you have a Protocol or an RNE.

  • Information on the location of the closest services can be found here
  • Dial 158 to reach the “Alô Trabalho” Call Center
  • Book appointments to obtain and renew CTPS here (Portuguese only)

List of Documents:

  • Two photos (3cmx4cm size, white background, in colour, identical and recent)
  • A copy of your Foreigners’ ID Card (CIE/RNE) or Provisional Protocol (you must also bring the original document)
  • Appointment reference page (after having scheduled it online)

Cadastro de Pessoa Física - CPF (Individual Tax Identification Number)

CPF is one of the main documents for persons residing in Brazil, as it allows the access to a series of services, such as the Public Health System (SUS), registration in public education institutions, opening bank accounts and other financial operations. Any individual, national or foreigner, can request a CPF.

Adults above 18 years old shall present the original or certified copy of his/her identity card, which can be the provisional protocol, the Card/RNE or even the passport. People under 18 years old shall present the original or certified copy of his/her identity card and the identity card of one of his/her parents or legal guardian. It will be also necessary to pay a tax. You can do it in the Postal Office (Correios).

For more information, please refer to these websites (Portuguese only):

Receita Federal do Brasil


Refugees recognized in Brazil are entitled to apply for a passport, valid for two years from the date of issue. Asylum seekers are not entitled to this passport and, as applicants, must wait for refugee status to be able to request a travel document.

To request a passport you have to:

1) Fill out the application form
2) Pay the fees
3) Schedule a date to go to the Federal Police Station
4) Present at the Federal Police on the date scheduled with your refugee identity card (Card/RNE), tax payment receipt and proof of scheduling.

You can check the application process of your passport here.

The passport will be delivered personally to its owner.

What do I have to do to travel abroad?

As an asylum seeker: If you are a refugee petitioner and need to travel abroad, you must communicate to CONARE about your travel plans by sending a specific form to [email protected]. A refugee applicant can stay up to 90 days out of the country within a year. If the 90-day limit is exceeded, the refugee request will be archived. In addition, before returning to Brazil, the applicant must apply for a new Brazilian visa.

As a recognized refugee: Every recognized refugee may travel abroad without official authorization from CONARE except in three cases:

  • When you travel to your home country
  • When you intend to travel, to any destination, for more than 12 (twelve) months
  • In case the refugee uses the passport of his/her country of nationality

In the cases above, it is required an express authorization from CONARE. The request must be made at least 60 days before the scheduled date of travel. In case of emergency, you should contact CONARE and explain the details of your situation. To request a travel authorization you must complete this form and send it to CONARE through your electronic protocol. If you have purchased your ticket without knowing that you need a travel authorization, please contact CONARE as soon as possible.

For more information on travel authorization procedures, please contact UNHCR or one of our civil society partners. You can also send an email with your questions to [email protected] and visit the website of the Ministry of Justice.


How can we improve this website? Please feel free to give us feedback if there is any information you believe is missing or could be wise to have on this website.

(Your privacy will be respected and the confidentiality of your answers will be maintained)