What’s the role of the Ombudsman in protecting the human rights of asylum seekers, refugees, IDPs and stateless persons?
Asylum seekers, refugees, internally displaced (IDPs) and stateless persons are entitled to all the rights and fundamental freedoms spelt out in international and national human rights instruments.
The Ombudsman plays an important role in protecting and promoting the fundamental rights of asylum seekers, IDPs, refugees, and stateless persons.
The Commissioner for Human Rights (Ombudsman) of the Republic of Azerbaijan functions based on the Constitutional Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan, “On the Commissioner for Human Rights (Ombudsman) of the Republic of Azerbaijan,” dated 28 December 2001.
- Investigate the applications and complaints written by and review proposals regarding Asylum Seekers, IDPs, Refugees and Stateless Persons. Examines the applications sent by national human rights institutions (also ombudspersons) of other countries and diplomatic missions, conducts on-site investigations, and provides legal advice if deemed necessary;
- Conducts monitoring of human rights situation of asylum-seekers, persons granted international protection and stateless persons in detention centers for irregular migrants;
- Fulfills the mandate of National Preventive Mechanism, as well as independent monitoring mechanism on the implementation of the CRPD and CRC, ensuring the right to equality and monitoring and promotion of anti-discrimination;
- Analyzes the situation with regards to providing guaranty of the legal protection of Asylum Seekers, IDPs, Refugees, and Stateless Persons and send recommendations to relevant state bodies regarding the regulation of their legal status and other issues;
- Carries out activities to improve the legislation and the work of institutions in the field of human rights;
- Organizes awareness-raising activities in the field of protection and promotion of human rights of Asylum Seekers, IDPs, Refugees and Stateless Persons.
How do I apply to the Ombudsman?
- 24/7 Call Centre: 916
- Telephone: + 994 12 493 74 22; + 994 12 498 23 65
- E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Through their website
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ombudsman.az
- X: @az_ombudsman
Reception of applicants:
- Citizen’s Reception Centre: Azerbaijan, Baku, AZ1000, Uzeyir Hajibeyli 80, The House of Government, Entrance I
The address of the Ombudsman Institution:
- Azerbaijan, Baku, AZ1000, Uzeyir Hajibeyli 80, The House of Government, Entrance II