People in Papua New Guinea

Have you been transferred offshore to Papua New Guinea by Australia and are you currently residing there? Are you interested in resettlement to New Zealand? Please complete this Expression of Interest (EOI) form*.

*Any data submitted through this form will be received directly by UNHCR and managed securely in accordance with the UNHCR Data Protection Policy 

Not in Papua New Guinea? Complete the Expression of Interest form for transferred people located in Australia or Nauru.

What do I need to know before completing an Expression of Interest (EOI)?

  • Who can complete this EOI form?
    • This EOI form is for people transferred offshore by Australia on or after 19 July 2013 who are now in Papua New Guinea.
  • UNHCR will consider your EOI for potential referral under New Zealand’s refugee quota programme.
  • Referral to New Zealand will depend on eligibility and resettlement. Transfer is not guaranteed.

What information do I need to provide?

  • Identity information.
  • Contact details.
  • Family details.
  • Honest and complete information about your refugee status, country of origin, and any engagement in resettlement processes with other countries.

What if I am in a resettlement process with another country such as Canada or the US?

  • If you are in a resettlement process with another country such as the US or Canada, you should continue with that process. This is your best chance of resettlement. Completing an EOI will not impact other resettlement processes.
  • You will not be given priority in the New Zealand resettlement consideration if you voluntarily withdraw from another resettlement process.  
  • If your case is not accepted in the other process, and you have completed an EOI for New Zealand resettlement, UNHCR can review your case.

What happens next?

  • Once you have completed an EOI, you will receive an email within one week confirming your form has been received by UNHCR. You do not need to do anything else at this time.
  • Your case will be assessed first by UNHCR, and if your are eligible, UNHCR will contact you if you are eligible, UNHCR will then refer your case to New Zealand. See the full process here.
  • UNHCR will inform you if your case is proceeding to the next stage. As UNHCR receives a large volume of emails about this process, we cannot respond to all emails about individual cases.

How long will the process take?

  • Case processing can take a long time, and we understand the waiting period can be difficult. UNHCR will contact you at each step and let you know if your case is proceeding.
  • As each case is different, it is not possible to tell you how long the process will take for your case.   
  • UNHCR will prioritise the processing of urgent resettlement cases first. 

Who can I contact if I need help?

If you need an interpreter to help you complete the Expression of Interest form, please email UNHCR at [email protected]. 

Where can I find more information about life in New Zealand?

More information for refugees settling in New Zealand, including settlement and family reunification, is available on the New Zealand Immigration website.

Related information

<< Back to Australia homepage
>> Select another country on our Help page