I am a person affected by the current situation in Sudan

Am I able to cross over to South Sudan without my personal documents?

If you are someone that is planning to seek asylum and have no documentation, you should not face any problems in entering South Sudan. As per the 2011 Immigration Act 20 (2) “prima facie refugees in the sense of the Refugee Act who are seeking refuge in South Sudan as a result of, or in order to avoid, the effects of armed conflict or situations of generalized violence, violation of human rights […] may be granted an entry permit [upon approval by the Minister or competent authority] even if they are not in possession of any international travel document or passport.”

Nevertheless, we recommend you try keep any documentation that identifies you. This can include a passport, national identification card, refugee ID card, a travel permit or other relevant travel documents issued by the authorities regardless of expiration.

If you are facing any challenges to enter to South Sudan due to lack of documents, please reach out to the Commission of Refugees Affairs (CRA) or UNHCR.


  • Reception Center, located in Juba:

Working Hours: Monday to Thursday from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm and on Fridays from 9.00 am to 3.00 pm.

Thongping/Juba Na-Bari area along Pope Francis Road (Formerly Kololo Road).

You can walk or take a motorcycle (boda-boda) downwards from the Kololo roundabout/American Embassy-Juba area and reach the Reception Centre. The centre is near former Kampala University-Juba.

Alternatively, you may follow the road from the American Embassy Residence and turn to the left side from the “Health Pooled Fund” Main Offices.

Please reach out to the Protection Helpline/Hotline0922777682 in case you are unable to locate the Reception Centre or if you arrive outside working hours and/or weekends.

To contact the UNHCR Juba Protection Team, please call our Hotline on 0922777682 or reach us from our e-mail address  [email protected]

  • The Border Reception Center is located in (Joda) Renk.
  • The Transit Center is located in Renk.

Where should I cross over from?

In terms of crossings, it is important to cross at designated border points to ensure your safety and security. We advise you to check with the local authorities or UNHCR for the latest information on official crossing points and the security situation in the area.

Please note that crossing borders irregularly can be dangerous and put you at risk of exploitation, violence, and other forms of harm. We urge you to follow the official channels and seek assistance from the relevant authorities to ensure a safe and secure journey.

If I arrive in South Sudan, can I be supported with transport to another city within South Sudan?

UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations – In coordination with local authorities – work together to aid vulnerable populations. Transportation assistance is provided based on specific criteria and needs. It is important to register with the relevant authorities, such as the Commission of Refugees Affairs (CRA), the Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (RRC), or UNHCR, as soon as possible upon arrival in South Sudan. This will help ensure that you are identified and can access the assistance you need, including transportation.

Please note that transportation assistance may not be available to everyone and is provided on a case-by-case basis. Factors such as the availability of resources and security conditions may impact the provision of transportation assistance. If you have specific transportation needs or concerns, we encourage you to speak with the local UNHCR office or other humanitarian organizations working in the area. They will be able to provide you with more information on the availability of transportation assistance and other forms of support that may be available to you. If you are recognized as refugees and/or asylum-seekers, you and your family would be assisted by UNHCR and its partners to be transported to existing refugee camps/settlements in South Sudan.

Who is an asylum seeker?

An asylum-seeker is a person who is applying (or preparing to apply) for asylum in another country to seek international protection. While not every asylum-seeker will ultimately be recognized as a refugee, an asylum-seeker may not be sent back to their country of origin until a final determination.

Refugees are defined and protected in international and national law. The 1951 Refugee Convention is a key international legal document and defines a refugee as:

“someone who is unable or unwilling to return to their country of origin owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion.”

The Minister of Interior may, if it is evident that there is a mass influx of asylum seekers into South Sudan, declare that class of persons to be refugees under prima facie consideration (Group recognition) and will not undergo individual refugee status determination.

How can I claim asylum in South Sudan?

You can claim asylum by, orally or in writing, presenting your claim to UNHCR, CRA or Immigration officials. Your claim will be processed by CRA, the government body responsible to deal with all asylum and refugee related matters. If you claim asylum through UNHCR or Immigration department, your case will be presented to CRA for further processing.

Can military personnel seek asylum in South Sudan?

According to international law, any armed elements must first renounce armed activities for their asylum claim to be considered. Therefore, to maintain the civilian nature of asylum, all military personnel are expected to surrender their arms before the process of asylum can begin.

What is the process for asylum in South Sudan?

Upon presenting your interest in seeking asylum, the asylum seekers are registered as asylum seekers in South Sudan. Upon registration, an Asylum Seeker Certificate is issued, and you will be in the process for  Refugee Status Determination/RSD.

The CRA conducts the Refugee Status Determination, it is a detailed process of interviewing and assessing each individual asylum-seeker’s account of why you had left your home country or why you cannot return to their country. If a person is not recognized as a refugee, you have the right to appeal and have the case reconsidered. If you are still not recognized during the appeal process, you can appeal further to the High Court after which, if your asylum claim is rejected, then you will no longer be recognized as an asylum-seeker and therefore no longer a person of concern to UNHCR.

However, if you are granted refugee status under prima facie consideration, you will be provided with a refugee ID valid for 3 years.

UNHCR works closely with the Government of South Sudan and is informed at various stages of the refugee status determination process for everyone. This allows the Government to be able to fulfil its obligations to protect recognized refugees and people seeking asylum.

Can the Government of South Sudan send a failed asylum seeker back to their home countries, including by deportation?

In accordance with International Law and the Refugee Act, 2012, General Prohibition of Refusal of Entry, Expulsion, Extradition or Return to other Country in Certain Circumstances:

After an asylum seeker has exhausted all rights to seek asylum and fails to be recognized, the government of South Sudan may deal with the person under the South Sudan Passports and Immigration Act.

Can UNHCR help me reunite with my family?

Once recognized or registered as an asylum seeker, a refugee/asylum seeker can apply through the CRA for permission for his or her members to enter and reside in South Sudan for purposes of family reunification. If a refugee or asylum seeker has lost contact with their family, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) may assist in family tracing so that the refugee or asylum seeker can reunify with the family.

Can I travel to another country through my own means?

Yes. Should you wish to travel to another country, you can do so by using your passport. UNHCR will not facilitate this.

What if I/my family have been under resettlement consideration/processing in Sudan before the conflict erupted?

Please contact and inform nearest UNHCR office in South Sudan and you will be assisted.

What if I want to come to South Sudan but do not want to seek asylum?

If you come to South Sudan and choose not to seek asylum, it is your right to do so. Seeking asylum is a personal decision that depends on individual circumstances and needs. However, if you are fleeing persecution or other forms of serious harm in your country of origin, it is important to consider seeking asylum as a means of protection.

As a refugee, you are entitled to certain rights and protection under international law, including the right to non-refoulement, which means you cannot be returned to a country where you may face persecution or other serious harm. Seeking asylum is one way to access these rights and protection.

If you decide not to seek asylum, you may still be able to access other forms of assistance and support from humanitarian organizations, such as access to basic necessities like shelter, food, water, and healthcare, as well as education, vocational training, and livelihood opportunities. However, please note that the availability of assistance and support may vary depending on your status and needs.

What type of housing will I have if I seek asylum in South Sudan?

If you seek asylum in South Sudan, UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations may be able to provide you with temporary shelter at the refugee camps/settlements.

The type of housing that is provided may vary depending on the location of refugee camps/settlements and the specific needs of the refugees. Refugees may be provided with emergency shelter such as tents or temporary shelters made of materials like plastic sheeting or corrugated iron sheets.

UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations work to ensure that the housing provided to refugees meets minimum standards for safety, sanitation, and privacy. This may include access to clean water and sanitation facilities, as well as basic household items like bedding, cooking utensils, and hygiene supplies.

It is important to note that the availability and quality of housing may vary depending on the location and resources available. In some cases, refugees may be required to share housing with other families or individuals in order to maximize the use of available space.

Should you wish to determine your own housing location outside refugee camps/settlements, you are entitled to manage your own housing once you have been properly registered by CRA at the nearest reception/transit centres dedicated for new arrivals from Sudan.

Will UNHCR give me a monthly salary to maintain myself and my family while I am there?

UNHCR does not provide refugees with a monthly salary. However, UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations may be able to provide refugees with assistance and support in meeting their basic needs, such as shelter, food, water, healthcare, and education.

The types of assistance and support available vary depending on the location and the specific needs of the refugee population. In some cases, refugees may be provided with cash or other forms of assistance to meet their basic needs. This may include food vouchers, cash transfers, or other forms of financial assistance.

It is important to note that the availability and types of assistance may vary depending on the location and resources available. In some cases, refugees may be required to rely on their own resources or the support of family and community members to meet their basic needs.

If I seek asylum, can I work in South Sudan?

In South Sudan, any person granted refugee status, and in possession of a valid refugee card issued by the CRA shall be entitled to seek employment as provided for in the Refugee Act.

Procedures ensuring employment of refugees and asylum seekers are managed by the Ministry of Labour in consultation with the Ministry of Interior.

UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations are working with the government to address any challenges/hindrances related to right of work for refugees and asylum seekers.

Do I need to pay to be registered as an asylum seeker or receive assistance?

No, you do not need to pay to be registered as an asylum seeker or to receive assistance from UNHCR or other humanitarian organizations. Registration and assistance services are provided free of charge to refugees and asylum seekers in need.

If you encounter anyone requesting payment for registration or assistance, please report this to the local UNHCR office or another trusted humanitarian organization immediately. UNHCR and its partners are committed to ensuring that refugees and asylum seekers can access the support they need without being exploited or taken advantage of.

Where should I go to register with UNHCR?

If you are a refugee or an asylum seeker and wish to register with CRA/UNHCR, you can go to the nearest CRA/UNHCR office, Reception Centers managed by CRA/UNHCR, help/information desk near you. If you are unable to locate them approach any humanitarian office or team and ask them to refer you to us.

What is sexual exploitation and abuse?

Sexual exploitation and abuse is when someone in a position of power, such as a UN staff member or other humanitarian worker, trades or demands sex in exchange for something like food, money, registration, or protection. It also includes any sexual activity with someone who is unable to give their consent, like a child or someone who is unconscious. This behavior is illegal and violates the human rights of the individuals involved. The UN has strict policies and procedures in place to prevent and respond to sexual exploitation and abuse.

How do I report sexual exploitation and abuse?

Any refugee, asylum seeker or returnee can report any incidents of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse to the UNHCR focal person on +211 (0)922 405 670 or UN inter-agency complaint mailbox [email protected].

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to UNHCR or other humanitarian organizations working in the area. We are here to support you and help during this challenging time.

See also

➡️ I am a foreigner seeking refuge / asylum in South Sudan (‘asylum seeker’) ➡️ I am a registered refugee in South Sudan ➡️ I am a South Sudanese refugee who left the country due to conflict and returned back to South Sudan ➡️ I am South Sudanese and displaced within the country (‘internally displaced’) ➡️ I am living in South Sudan but I do not have documents to prove my citizenship (‘stateless or at risk of statelessness’) << Return to 'Who are you?' << Return to South Sudan Help homepage