UNHCR in Rwanda is able to help you obtain the following documentation. Please ensure you have the required documents listed before getting in contact.

Refugee Identity Document

Refugee ID are issued to all refugees aged 16 years and above. Please visit Ministry in Charge of Emergency Management (MINEMA) office at Kigali and at camps to fill the application form.

On your behalf, MINEMA will submit your application and you will be notified by the National Identification Agency (NIDA) when to go for biometric capturing.

You can also call or write to UNHCR if you have questions.

Required documents:

    • Proof of Registration 
    • Individual Summary (Short Version) from UNHCR 
    • Birth certificate (if available) 
    • Passport (if available) 

Birth Registration

Required documents:

    • Birth Notification Form

    • Identification documents of the declarant


Marriage Registration

Required documents:

    • Marriage booklet

    • Identification documents of the declarants

Divorce Registration

Required documents:

    • Certificate of Divorce or court order or other proof of divorce

Death Registration

Required documents:

    • Death Notification Form

    • Identification documents of the declarant


Convention Travel Documents

Required documents:

    • Application Form
    • Application letter addressed to the Director General of Immigration and Emigration signed by the applicant,both parents should sign if the applicant is a minor
    • Recommendation letter issued at the administrative cell level or camp manager in case the applicant resides in a refugee camp
    • Copy of valid Refugee Card and presentation of original
    • Copy of Proof of Registration (PoR)
    • One recent colored passport size photo

For more information and to download the application form, please visit this link.

See also

<< Back to Rwanda homepage >> Select another country on our Help page