Governmental institutions

Government of Ukraine

The State Migration Service (SMS) of Ukraine is the only government institution that can grant you protection status in Ukraine (refugee status or complementary protection status) and grant you the legal right to stay in Ukraine. UNHCR can only help asylum seekers apply for asylum at the State Migration Service and support the case through the legal procedures.

You have to address your asylum application in person to the relevant Refugee department of the State Migration Service:

A list of all SMS offices in the other 11 regions of Ukraine as well as more details about the asylum procedure can be found in the asylum leaflet:

UNHCR partner NGOs can provide you with free of charge consultation about the State Migration Service and the asylum procedure in Ukraine.