The Government of South Africa continues to offer the SASSA Social Relief of Distress Grant (SRD 350), a grant of R350 per month for 6 months to be paid to individuals who are currently unemployed, do not receive any form of income, social grant or UIF payment etc, and include both Refugees and Asylum Seeker permit holders. You can find detailed guidelines on the application process in THIS brochure.
Criteria and Application process
You can apply if you are :
- a South African Citizens, Permanent Resident or Refugee registered on the Home Affairs database or a holder of a special permit under the Special Angolan Dispensation, the Lesotho Exemption Permit dispensation or the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit Dispensation, or an asylum seeker whose section 22 permit or visa is valid or was valid on 15 March 2020;
- currently residing within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
- above the age of 18 and below the age of 60;
- not receiving any adult social grant in respect of himself or herself;
- not receiving an unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive an unemployment insurance benefit;
- not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme or other financial aid;
- not receiving any other government COVID-19 response support; and
- not a resident in a government funded or subsidised institution.
If you are eligible, access the application page by clicking here.
Applicants will be required to provide complete information, including:
- Identity Number or Department of Home Affairs Refugee/ asylum seeker permit number
- Name and Surname as captured in the Identity Document
- Gender and Disability
- Contact details – Cell phone number
- Residential Address
We understand that some Asylum Seekers faced challenges in the application process, so we prepared the attached Guide particularly to this population HERE.
To change Mobile number Client must contact SASSA Toll Free Call centre on: 0800 60 10 11
If more information is required, please contact:
SASSA Toll Free Call centre on: 0800 60 10 11
Send an email to: [email protected]