Are you under 18?

Here you will find information about services for children and young persons who have had to leave their home country and are now in Malta.

I am under 18 and do not have documents, what are the procedures to be followed?

If you are under 18 years of age and you are traveling without your parents or any direct family members, you should inform the authorities immediately.

In case you do not have documents with you (family booklet, passport, ID card), the authorities will interview you to assess your age and, in case the authorities determine you are a minor, they will appoint a guardian for you. The guardian will assist you with your asylum procedures, will take into consideration your needs, will accompany you in your meetings with the authorities and will help you understand the Maltese system and use the right services that you may need.

If the authorities determine that you are not a child (that is, that you are over 18 years of age), and you do not agree with this, you have the right to appeal with the assistance of a lawyer within 3 days starting from the day you received the age assessment result. If you are accommodated in a centre (open or closed), you can contact JRS or aditus foundation to ask for the assistance of a lawyer, or you can request your social worker or the centre coordinator to make this request on your behalf.

I am under 18, can I apply for asylum?

Yes, you can apply for asylum regardless of your age. Your guardian will provide you with all the necessary information regarding your rights as a child in Malta and will accompany you during your interviews with the International Protection Agency (IPA).

I am under 18, can I contact UNHCR?

Yes, you may contact UNHCR directly through email [email protected] or telephone 📞+356 2248 9400 / 📞+356 9999 6343. If you live in a centre (open or closed), you can inform the authorities of your wish to speak to UNHCR, and they will contact us on your behalf.

Can UNHCR assist me find my parents or my family?

Unfortunately, UNHCR is not in a position to assist you in this regard. If you have lost contact with your parents and family and wish to find them, you can contact the Malta Red Cross, which offers the Restoring Family Links (RFL) service.

Please visit Red Cross’s Restoring Family Links website for more information.

I do not feel safe where I live. What should I do?

No one has the right to abuse, neglect or mistreat any child – not even parents, relatives or teachers.

If someone has hurt you or if you are afraid that someone will, there are organisations that can help you. If you contact UNHCR, we will do our best to help you.

If you feel at risk of being hurt, you can get help by calling the helpline of the Foundation for Social Welfare Services at 📞 179.

Related Information