I am in immigration detention in Australia. Can UNHCR assist me?


UNHCR is not in a position to review individual asylum claims in Australia.

UNHCR is also not in a position to investigate individual complaints regarding conditions of detention. UNHCR does, however, visit Australia’s immigration detention centres to monitor whether the treatment of asylum-seekers in detention is in accordance with international standards, and provides recommendations to the Australian Government in this regard.

You may wish to contact the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) if you have concerns regarding conditions of detention. Contact details for the AHRC are as follows:

You may also wish to contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman, which has responsibility for investigating such concerns. Contact details for the Commonwealth Ombudsman are as follows:

  • Phone:1300 362 072 (calls from mobile phones at mobile phone rates)
  • Fax: (02) 6276 0123
  • SMS: 0413 COM OMB (0413 266 662) (standard carrier rates apply)
  • Email:
  • Postal: GPO Box 442, CANBERRA ACT 2601

I am a refugee in immigration detention in Australia due to an adverse security assessment. Can UNHCR assist me?


The Government of Australia is a signatory to the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, and has undertaken to adhere to international standards regarding the protection of refugees. UNHCR has a supervisory role with regard to the implementation of the 1951 Convention in Australia. There is no established process for refugees to be resettled (or relocated) out of Australia.

Although UNHCR is deeply concerned by the prolonged detention of asylum-seekers and refugees in Australia, you are subject to the laws of Australia and may continue to be subject to immigration detention while the Government of Australia finds a solution for you.

UNHCR is involved in on-going discussions with the Government of Australia in relation to the measures being taken to resolve cases where recognized refugees have received adverse security assessments.