How to Apply for Asylum?

When entering the country, you can apply for asylum at any Estonian border point. To do so, inform the border guard that you wish to apply for asylum in Estonia.

You can do that even if you do not have a valid visa, travel documents or Estonian residence permit.

If you are already in Estonia and would like to apply for asylum, you should approach the Police and Border Guard Board.

You can find the addresses and opening hours of the police stations where you can apply for asylum in Estonia on the website of the Police and Border Guard Board.

You do not need to make an appointment to apply for asylum.

You can also find more information about international protection in Estonia on the website of the Police and Border Guard Board that contains information in Ukrainian, English, Russian and Estonian. You can select one of these languages on the top right corner of the website.

What are my rights and obligations as an asylum-seeker in Estonia?

Read more about the rights to work, education, healthcare and others on the page of the Police and Border Guard Board (the information is available in multiple languages; for the English version, click on the option “inglise keeles” that you will find in that page).

I need a lawyer and/or an interpreter in my case

State legal aid, which means having a lawyer provided by the State, is free of charge for people who are unable to pay for a lawyer to represent them.

State legal aid is only available if you received a negative decision and you want to appeal it.

To receive state legal aid, you must file an application and a notice of your financial status with the county court of your place of residence in Estonia. The International Protection Advisers at the Police and Border Guard Board will help you to fill out the state legal aid forms and you can contact them by:

You can also contact the Estonian Human Rights Centre who may be able to provide legal assistance in your case.

During the asylum procedure, if you need an interpreter, the Police and Border Guard Board should provide you with one.

What happens after I apply for asylum?


<< Back to Estonia homepage
>> Select another country on our Help page