Where to seek help

Important: Neither UNHCR, IOM or the NGOs providing assistance in the reception or detention centers take money for any services. Their help is always free of charge.

State authorities

Department for Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior (DAMP)

The DAMP assesses and decides on all applications for international protection in the Czech Republic. It decides who is a refugee, and also who needs subsidiary protection. You can find more information on the DAMP website.

Refugee Facilities Administration of the Ministry of the Interior (RFA)

The RFA operates facilities for asylum-seekers, recognized refugees, and detained foreigners and provides related services. It is responsible for the safety and security of clients in the facilities. For more information on the types and locations of the facilities, visit the RFA website.

Legal help

The UNHCR office in the Czech Republic does not provide legal advice or representation in individual cases. In strategic matters, UNHCR closely cooperates with its partner organisation, the Organisation for Aid to Refugees (OPU). You can contact OPU by e-mail: [email protected] or by phone: 📞 +420 730 158 779, 📞 +420 730 158 781.

Non-governmental organisations

There are several organisations providing legal, social, or psychological support to refugees and migrants. Please contact one of these organisations:

Organisation for Aid to Refugees (OPU)

It provides social, psychological, and legal counselling to asylum-seekers. It also operates field programs and a halfway house for young people, and helps unaccompanied minors as well as stateless persons.

Offices in Prague, Brno, Pilsen, Hradec Kralove and Ostrava.

Contact: Kovářská 4, 190 00 Praha 9, phone: 📞 +420 730 158 779, fax: +420 233 371 258, e-mail: [email protected], web: www.opu.cz

Association for Integration and Migration (SIMI)

It offers social, labour, and legal counselling to foreigners living in the Czech Republic. It provides assistance in the areas of housing, health care, education, paperwork, work permits, Czech language, free internet, and training in practical skills.

Contact: Havlíčkovo náměstí 2, 130 00 Praha 3, phone: 📞+420 224 224 379, fax: +420 224 239 455, e-mail: [email protected], web: www.migrace.com

Counselling Centre for Integration (PPI)

It offers social, educational, and legal support. It organises Czech language courses for children and adults and tutoring in various school subjects.

Offices in Prague and Ústí nad Labem.

Contact: Velká Hradební 33, Ústí nad Labem, phone: 📞 +420 475 216 536, e-mail: [email protected], [email protected], web: www.p-p-i.cz

Charita Czech Republic

It provides social and health services to foreigners in the Czech Republic. It is also involved in humanitarian aid and integration activities.

Offices in Prague, with many additional local offices around the Czech Republic.

Contact: Vladislavova 12, 110 00 Praha 1, phone: 📞 +420 296 243 330, fax: +420 296 243 333, e-mail: [email protected], web: www.charita.cz.

Forum for Human Rights

It focuses on international human rights litigation and advocacy, including in the areas of asylum, immigration, and detention. 

Contact: Ovenecká 33, 170 00 Praha 7, e-mail: [email protected], web: https://forumhr.eu/.

Persons in detention

Legal aid in detention facilities across the country is provided by the Organisation for Aid to Refugees (OPU).

If you need specialised legal help in strategic matters, please contact the Forum for Human Rights

Human trafficking

Counselling and support for victims of human trafficking is provided by La Strada. You can also call their hotline: 📞 +420 222 71 71 71, 📞 +420 800 07 77 77.

Stateless persons

If you are a stateless person in the Czech Republic, please contact the Organisation for Aid to Refugees (OPU).

Related information

<< Back to Czech Republic homepage
>> Select another country