There are no formal or mandatory orientation programmes for refugees and asylum-seekers upon their arrival in the country. However, there are several programmes being run by municipalities and other organisations to support the integration of refugees and asylum-seekers, some with funding support from the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) of the Republic of Cyprus and the European Union. Some projects and programmes are offered in the Nicosia area, and others are offered in other towns and cities across the island.
We are currently updating the information on these pages. Please check back again soon.
New Channels of Integration
New Channels of Integration (Νέοι Δρόμοι Ένταξης) is a programme of activities running throughout 2017 by the Municipalities of Nicosia, Ayios Dometios, Engomi and Lakatamia. The programme of activities includes the following:
- Cultural identity preservation programme for Arab-speaking children – Nicosia Municipal Multifunctional Foundation and Cypriot-Arabic Cultural Centre
- The social worker on the side of third country nationals – Counseling process for the integration of third country nationals in the local community – Ayios Dometios Municipality
- The role of sports in the integration of third country nationals – Cooperation of Local Authorities with groups of third country nationals for the creation and development of a cricket tournament – Lakatamia Municipality
- Culture and Tradition as a tool for the integration of third country nationals in the local community – Engomi Municipality
For more information, see:
The Nicosia Municipality Multifunctional Foundation (Polidinamo)
The Nicosia Municipality Multifunctional Foundation runs the following projects and services. Click here for more information regarding projects and services offered at the Nicosia Municipality Multifunctional Foundation.
- Daily care and employment services to children of working or unemployed parents who are third country nationals.
- Developing multiculturalism through creative and educational children’s activities
- Providing psychosocial support services through the Immigrant Information and Support Centre (KEPLYM)
- Supporting migrant community groups to organise cultural and sports events within the municipality infrastructure.
- The organisation of cultural identity preservation programs every weekend for children of Chinese and Arabic origin, including: Chinese Language, Chinese Art and Calligraphy, Go Chess, Table Tennis, Arabic Language, Arab Art and Culture, Arabian Kitchen, Athletic activities and the operation of the Immigrant Networking Office at Plateia Solomou on Sundays.
- A series of workshops named Re-bE have been created to help participants feel accepted and welcome in Cyprus. These experiential workshops aim to cultivate a sense of belonging through music, personal expression and creativity through these areas such as Music, Art, Storytelling, Creative Movement, Creative Curiosity and Environment – Acoustic Ecology.
Island-wide (Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca, Pafos, Paralimni)
Cyprus Aware is an information and awareness campaign about refugees and asylum-seekers in Cyprus.
Mi-HUB Migrant Information Centres
Operating in four cities – Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol and Pafos – Mi-HUB works with asylum-seekers, refugees and other vulnerable migrants to identify their needs, and provides information. Mi-HUB helps with access to services and resources and in building new skills to adjust to the Cypriot cultural and social environment. Mi-HUB’s services are offered to semi-urban and rural areas by a mobile unit (InfoBus) that every week visits a different region in order to serve migrants residing in different areas of the country.
Telephone: 22 080350
Fax: 22 842222
United to End Female Genital Mutilation