UNHCR provides protection and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers and other persons of concern in an impartial manner on the basis of their needs, irrespective of their race, religion, political opinion, age, or gender. UNHCR’s capacity to ensure the protection of refugees and other persons of concern depends on the ability of its staff and its implementing partners to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct.
The UNHCR complaints procedure allows individual asylum-seekers or refugees who believe they have been the victims of serious misconduct by UNHCR staff or partners to bring information about the allegedly wrongful behaviour to the management of UNHCR Cyprus. Complainants will receive a preliminary response within 30 days. Individuals wishing to lodge a complaint should use the form on the reverse to report their grievance.
Be aware that:
- The UNHCR complaints system addresses instances of serious misconduct where the allegedly responsible party was a staff member of UNHCR or its implementing partner.
- Complaints must have an author. Anonymous complaints cannot be investigated.
- In all cases, complaints must be brought within three months of the time of the alleged wrongdoing.
- Reporting through the complaints procedure will not in any way prejudice or positively influence any decisions regarding assistance or services to which you would otherwise be entitled.
- Complaints which are determined to be unfounded or malicious may lead to prosecution by Cypriot authorities.
- UNHCR will ensure the confidentiality of the complaints process. Only those individuals whose involvement in the resolution of the complaint is necessary will be informed of the content of the complaint.
Filing a complaint:
To initiate a complaint, please download and fill out the form below as completely as possible. After completing the form, please put it in a sealed envelope marked “CONFIDENTIAL” and addressed “ATTENTION: UNHCR REPRESENTATIVE”. The form may be mailed to the UNHCR Cyprus office, per the instructions and address in the leaflet.
If your complaint is accepted for consideration through the complaints procedure, you will be notified within 30 days of the receipt of your complaint. You will also be advised of the outcome of the complaint following completion of the investigation.
Link to form: