UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, created this website for refugees and asylum seekers in the United States. On this website, you will find information about:
- Where you can ask for help in the United States
- How you can apply for asylum in the United States
- How to apply for family reunion in the United States
- What rights and duties you have as a refugee or as an asylum seeker in the United States
- UNHCR’s role and activities in the United States
- Information for People Affected by the Ukraine Situation
- UNHCR Resources on the Conditions in Haiti
- Contact information for our office
Notice: If you are coming from Canada and intend on claiming asylum after crossing the U.S.-Canada border irregularly in-between official land border posts, note that new restrictions came into effect on 25 March 2023. More information is available on the Department of Homeland Security website.
Èske w ap chèche enfòmasyon sou Ayiti? Klike la a.
*Please note that the UNHCR office in Washington D.C. does not accept in-person appointments. Please reach out to us at the contact information provided here.
This website does not serve as legal counsel. For all legal questions, UNHCR advises consulting with a qualified immigration lawyer.