Frequently Asked Questions

What documentation do I need to travel to Ireland?

All immigration services and airlines must be satisfied as to the identity of a person presenting at a border. Airlines have been asked to accept Government issued identity documents for Ukrainian nationals, not usually acceptable for international travel, in lieu of a national passport: including, for example, National ID Cards, Birth Certificates, Internal Passports and expired passports. Irish Immigration authorities have requested that boarding is not refused to anyone without first contacting immigration authorities in Ireland. If you experience problems you may contact the Border Management Unit at [email protected] for assistance. 

Do I need a PCR Test to travel to Ireland?

From Sunday 6 March 2022, travellers to Ireland are not required to show proof of vaccination, proof of recovery or a negative PCR test result upon arrival. There are no post-arrival testing or quarantine requirements for travellers to Ireland.

Any individual that develops COVID-19 symptoms while in Ireland should follow the HSE guidance in relation to isolation and undertaking antigen or PCR testing as appropriate.

What documentation will I have to prove that I have been granted temporary protection?

On arrival in the state or shortly thereafter you will be provided with a letter from the Minister for Justice confirming that you are a beneficiary of Temporary Protection in Ireland granted under section 60 of the International Protection Act 2015. This is all the proof you need to be able to immediately access employment, income support, accommodation (if needed) and other State supports in Ireland. If you are granted temporary protection in Ireland you will also receive a Personal Public Service Number (PPSN).

Should I apply for international protection?

There is no requirement for Ukrainian nationals and others covered by the Temporary Protection Decision to seek international protection (also known as asylum) to receive the support and protection of the Irish State. The EU Temporary Protection Directive provides a quicker and more streamlined alternative in these circumstances.

While you can, of course, always choose to apply for international protection, you cannot benefit from temporary protection at the same time.

Temporary protection will provide you with immediate access to the labour market, along with access to social welfare income supports, accommodation and other State supports. If you choose to apply for international protection, you should be aware that you will not be able to access employment until 6 months after making your application.

I’ve recently arrived from Ukraine and need accommodation, where can I go?

You may stay with family or friends if that is an option for you. If, however, you are in need of accommodation when you arrive tell this to the Immigration Officer who will direct you further. The Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, is responsible for providing temporary accommodation to those who need it. While many people have been accommodated in hotels or similar lodgements to date, accommodation is now very scarce and you may be offered shared accommodation in a variety of buildings adapted for temporary use as an accommodation or transit centre. To get in touch with the Department, please contact the  Ukraine Temporary Accommodation Team at [email protected]    

I was living in Ireland prior to 24 February. Can I apply for Temporary Protection or international protection?

Ukrainian nationals who are currently in Ireland on a short stay ‘C’ type visa will also be able to avail of Temporary Protection. They can apply for this permission by visiting the Ukraine Support Centre in Cork St, Dublin 8 (in the Guild Building, D08 XH90) and in Limerick (the Limerick Intreo Centre, Dominic Street, V94 X327). It is not necessary to make an appointment. 

Additionally, Ukrainian nationals who are currently in Ireland on another immigration permission or stamp, for example as a student or as someone with an employment permit, will remain on that permission/stamp until it expires or falls due for renewal. At that point, they may decide whether to further extend or renew the existing permission or to avail of Temporary Protection for the remainder of the period for which it is available as determined by the EU Council. 

You may also apply for international protection at any time. However, be aware that the rights and entitlements of international protection applicants will differ from your current residency permission. For more information, please click here.  

Can I travel to other European countries?

Ukrainian nationals can travel to other countries in the EU without a visa; you have the right to travel within the European Union for 90 days within a 180-day period. The United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) however still requires Ukrainians to apply for a visa to enter. Nationals of other countries are advised to check the visa requirements of the country concerned prior to travel. As the UK has left the EU the Temporary Protection Decision does not apply there.

The Temporary Protection Directive applies in all EU Member States except Denmark. It doesn’t apply in Schengen associated countries (Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland).
According to the EU Commission, if you change your residence and move to another EU country, the residence permit in the first EU country will expire and your rights there will come to an end. The new host EU country should give you temporary protection and issue a new residence permit. It is important that you inform the authorities of the first EU country that you intend to move to another Member State.  

Can UNHCR Ireland assist me to move or resettle to another country? 

There is no onward resettlement programme for Ukrainians to move from Ireland or elsewhere to a third country. Resettlement programmes are not established in countries where the asylum system provides effective protection to everybody in need of it, as in Ireland.   

UNHCR in Ireland therefore cannot assist Ukrainians to resettle to other countries such as Australia, Canada or the USA. The decision on admission and entry is taken solely by the responsible national authority of the country of destination.  

To find information on options to go to any of these countries, you should contact the embassies of those countries directly or visit the following pages: 




For more information, please click here.