This website has been created by the UN Refugee Agency -UNHCR- in Guatemala, to provide information and guidance to people who are in transit in Guatemalan territory, refugees, and asylum seekers in Guatemala.
Did you leave your country and need guidance?
If you are afraid to return to your country because your life is in danger, you can request protection as a refugee in Guatemala. If you are accompanied by your family, you can include them in your application, and if they are still in your country of origin you can also indicate it.
On this website, you can find information about the process to request refugee status in Guatemala, find out which institutions and organizations can support you, and learn about your rights and responsibilities.
Contact us by phone or WhatsApp to receive information and guidance:
- Chimaltenango, Escuintla, Sacatepéquez, Santa Rosa, Suchitepéquez y Guatemala:
+502 4218-5898 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
- Petén: +502 4249-8519 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
- Izabal y Alta Verapaz: +502 4216-0704 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
- San Marcos y Quetzaltenango: +502 5571-1042 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
- Chiquimula y Jutiapa: +502 5571-1652 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
- Huehuetenango y Quiché: +502 5571-5810 Contact us on WhatsApp Here.
Remember that you can apply for refugee status directly at the Refugee Status Recognition Department -DRER- at the Offices of the Guatemalan Migration Institute -IGM-.
Telephone: +502 2231-72 00
Temporary schedule: 7:00 am. to 3:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday
Address: 7th avenue 14-44, Zone 9, La Galería Building, Office 15B
EVERY PROCEDURE IS CONFIDENTIAL AND FREE