If you are a refugee from Ukraine in Finland, please visit the website of the Finnish Immigration Service that contains important information in Finnish, Swedish, English or Ukrainian or call the Finnish Immigration Service at 📞 +358 295 790 605.
People arriving from Ukraine may be entitled to temporary protection in Finland. You may be eligible for temporary protection in Finland if you are a:
- Citizen of Ukraine who used to live in Ukraine and had to flee the country shortly before 24 February 2022 or thereafter
- Beneficiaries of international protection in Ukraine
- Other permanent residents of Ukraine who cannot return to their country of origin
- Ukrainian citizens who are already living or have arrived in Finland
- Third-country nationals or stateless persons who have resided legally (including on a short-term basis) in Ukraine and cannot return to their home countries
- A family member of any of the above
Under the Finnish rules, the following persons are considered “family members”:
- a spouse or partner
- underage unmarried child
The decision is usually made within one week after the application. In that case, you will be issued the decision granting temporary protection, which you can use to prove your status. You will be notified of the decision via mail. Within 14 days of receiving a positive decision, you will receive your residence card via mail. The residence permit based on temporary protection is valid until 4 March 2023.
For more information about what temporary protection and international protection are, where you can apply for temporary protection and the rights of people with temporary protection in Finland, please visit the website of the Finnish Immigration Service with information in Finnish, Ukrainian, English and Swedish. You can select one of these languages on the top of the website.
People who are not eligible for Temporary Protection
If you do not qualify for temporary protection, it may be possible for you to apply for asylum or remain in Finland on other grounds, even if your visa waiver or visa has expired. Here you can find out how you can apply for asylum.