Who is involved?

Three government institutions are involved in the asylum process:

  • Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB)

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is Canada’s largest independent administrative tribunal. It is responsible for making well-reasoned decisions on immigration and refugee matters, efficiently, fairly and in accordance with the law. Once you make your asylum claim with the authorities (IRCC or CBSA), the IRB will decide your asylum claim and if you qualify for refugee protection in Canada.

Telephone: +1-613-995-6486
Website: http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/Pages/index.aspx
Address: 344 Slater Street, 12th Floor, Ottawa, ON Canada K1A 0K1
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Regional offices:

Eastern RegionMontreal

Address: 200 René-Lévesque Boulevard West, Guy Favreau Complex, East Tower, Room 102, Montreal, Quebec H2Z 1X4
Telephone: +1-514-283-7733 or +1-866-626-8719

Central RegionToronto

Address: 74 Victoria Street, Suite 400, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 3C7
Telephone: +1-416-954-1000

Western Region: Vancouver

Address: Suite 1600, Library Square, 300 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6B 6C9
Telephone: +1-604-666-5946 or +1-866-787-7472

Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton

Telephone: +1-866-787-7472 or +1-604-666-5946

  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a department of the Canadian government, processes the first step of your asylum claim if you submitted your asylum claim from inside Canada and not at a Port of Entry. It is also IRCC who processes your work permit and the renewal of your Refugee Protection Claimant Document if it has expired.

Telephone: +1-888-242-2100
Website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/inside/apply-how.asp
Opening hours: Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm (your local time)

  • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

The CBSA is a federal law government agency responsible for border control, immigration enforcement, and customs services in Canada. If you have made an asylum claim at the airport, land border or crossed the border irregularly into Canada, CBSA will be the government organization that will start the processing of your asylum claim.

Calls within Canada
Toll-free +1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada
Long distance charges apply
Email: [email protected]