I am under 18 years old, and I have just arrived in Ecuador, what should I know?

? When you reach the border, tell migration staff that you’re not traveling with your parents and that you need them to call a person from the Ministerio de Inclusión Económica y Social (Ministry of Social and Economic Inclusion) – MIES. They can’t deny you that help.

In Ecuador, the MIES is the authority responsible for the protection of children and adolescents. No matter your nationality, migration status and whether you have your identity documents or not.

A MIES psychologist or social worker will interview you to see what needs you have and find ways to help you?. It’s important for you to you express what you want to do and for them to take your wish into account.

This information will be shared with an authority called the Junta Cantonal de Protección de Derechos (Cantonal Board for the Protection of Rights), which will instruct different institutions to give you the help you need. Sometimes, the Board will contact you to talk to you and be able to help you better?.