Living in Croatia

If you have been granted asylum or subsidiary protection, an Integration Officer from the Ministry of the Interior will explain your rights and obligations and will assist you in the realisation of those rights. The Ministry of the Interior, upon delivering a decision on asylum, will inform you that the NGO ‘Centre for Culture of Dialogue’, who are their implementing partner, may provide support to you.  This NGO can assist you through seven mobile teams composed of a caseworker and cultural mediator in Zagreb, Osijek, Slavonski Brod, Sisak, Karlovac, Rijeka, Pula and Zadar. An integral part of the project is preparing of individual integration plans and assistance with access to services. If you accept their services, you will receive an information package from the Ministry of Interior and the ‘Centre for Culture of Dialogue’ will be notified.  You are also free to contact any other NGO – please check this page for more information.

In addition, when receiving the decision on granting protection, the Ministry of the Interior will provide you with a Guide through Integration – Basic Information for the Integration of Aliens into Croatian Society (see below).


The Government Office for Human Rights and Rights of National Minorities has issued a guide through integration with detailed information on integration, which is available here:

Danube Compass provides information for new inhabitants of the Danube region which includes Croatia. You can check their web site for information about arrival, residence, work, health, education, learning Croatian language and everyday life in Croatia here:

UNHCR partner Association MI has created a web site where you can find all the information and latest news about the integration in Croatia. Please visit the following link:

First steps

UNHCR’s partner, the Croatian Red Cross has issued a leaflet on the First steps in integration of refugees. You can access it here:




Identity card

You have the right to residence in the Republic of Croatia from the receipt of a positive decision on  asylum or subsidiary protection, and the Ministry of the Interior will issue you a residence permit (identity card) which you must always carry with you. You should apply for a residence permit at the local police station, based on the place of residence, within 15 days from receiving a decision approving your asylum application. In order to obtain your identity card, please visit the nearest police station.

For locations of police stations, please visit this page.

Language courses

Please check who is conducting language courses at:

Ministry of Science and Education
Donje Svetice 38, Zagreb
E-mail: [email protected]

Danube Compass
Danube Compass provides information for new residents of the Danube region, including Croatia, with a list of organisations providing Croatian language classes. Visit their page for more information


Once you are granted asylum you will be entitled to two years of subsidised housing/accommodation provided by the state. The right to subsidised accommodation may last for up to two years from the day you receive your positive decision on granted protection if you do not have your own financial means. You need to submit an accommodation request to the local social welfare centre based on the place of residence as soon as possible after you receive your residence permit. Your Integration Officer will provide you with all the necessary information, while this right will be enabled through your Centre for Social Welfare and Central State Office for Reconstruction and Housing Care.

For the location of your Centre for Social Welfare, please visit this page.

For more information, please see:

Ministry of Labour, Pension System, Family and Social Policy
Ulica grada Vukovara 78, Zagreb
E-mail: [email protected]

Central State Office for Reconstruction and Housing Care
Savska cesta 28, Zagreb
E-mail: [email protected]


Once you are granted international protection, you are entitled to health care to the same extent as an insured person with compulsory health insurance. This is called health protection. When you start working, you will have health insurance and will be issued with a health insurance card. Until then, when visiting a doctor, you should show your residence permit and the costs of treatment will be covered by the Ministry of Health.

For more information please see:

Address: Ksaver 200 A, Zagreb
Phone: 0800 7999
E-mail: [email protected]

Danube Compass – Health section



You have the right to education under the same conditions as Croatian citizens. You have the right to primary, secondary, and higher education. Primary education is compulsory in the Republic of Croatia, and you must immediately enrol your children in the education system.

Adults who have not completed primary or secondary education are entitled to adult education. If you have completed a certain level of education, you are entitled to the recognition of foreign education qualifications. For more information, contact the Ministry responsible for education.

Ministry of Science and Education
Address: Donje Svetice 38, Zagreb
E-mail: [email protected]


You have the right to work under the same conditions as Croatian citizens. You do not need a residence or work permit or a work registration certificate. In order to find work and exercise certain labour rights more easily, you need to register at the Croatian Employment Service, where you must regularly contact your counsellor, at least once every 28 days. Visit the Croatian Employment Service.

For locations of Croatian Employment Services, please visit:

For more information, please see:

Croatian Employment Service
Radnička cesta 1, Zagreb
[email protected]

Are you a refugee looking for information about international job opportunities?

Check out our Job-seeking advice for refugees page. There you will find:

  • Advice on navigating the international job market as a refugee
  • Countries offering programmes
  • Our employment partners
  • Tips on how to find a job abroad

Family reunification

Please visit this section for more information on family reunification.

Family tracing service

Please visit this page for more information on family tracing.

Information on earthquake


  • Learn how to behave in the event of an earthquake
  • Determine one safe place in your home
  • Prepare a flashlight, mobile phone, radio, spare batteries and first aid kit and learn the
  • Learn and remember where the main power switch is and where and how the main gas and water valves close
  • Always have a good supply of food


  • Don’t panic and try to calm down
  • If you are on the ground floor, get out and away from trees, streetlamps, electrical cables and buildings (caution, beware of falling parts)
  • If you are on higher floors, hide next to load-bearing walls, under a heavy piece of furniture (table) or under a load-bearing structure.
  • Do not use staircase and elevators. Stay away from glass, windows, tall furniture, mirrors and partitions if you are in a vehicle, stop in the open and stay in the vehicle


  • When the first earthquakes stop, leave the premises in the most convenient way – never use the elevator – and take the most important things
  • Switch off the power at the main switch and close the gas and water at the main valve
  • If you are injured, if you are able, give yourself first aid, until the arrival of rescue teams and others
  • If you are buried, cover your mouth with a tissue or cloth and tap on the nearest pipe or wall so that rescuers can hear you and determine where you are. Don’t shout. Save energy.
  • General emergency number: 112

Information on earthquake on Arabic

See also

<< Back to Croatia homepage
>> Select another country on our Help page