UNHCR provides a trusted, respectful and inclusive environment where people should feel safe. Anyone having concerns or suspicions about possible misconduct by a UNHCR staff or UNHCR’s partner, including sexual exploitation and abuse, regardless of that person’s position, should report such concerns.
What is misconduct?
All UN staff members as well as staffs of UNHCR’s partners are bound to a code of conduct. Possible misconduct can include:
- Sexual exploitation and abuse against persons of concern to UNHCR;
- Fraud (e.g. falsifying a document);
- Corruption (e.g. taking money from refugees or others);
- Theft and embezzlement (e.g. stealing equipment or money);
- Harassment, including sexual harassment;
- Assault, threats or retaliation;
- Non-compliance with local laws.
What is sexual exploitation and abuse?
Our position is clear and has been reiterated on several occasions by our High Commissioner: sexual misconduct is unjustifiable and must be eradicated from UNHCR operations.
- Sexual exploitation and abuse affect persons of concern.
- Sexual exploitation is defined as an actual or attempted abuse of someone’s position of vulnerability (such as a person depending on you for survival, food rations, school books, transport or other services), differential power or trust, to obtain sexual favors, including but not only, by offering money or other social, economic or political advantages. It includes trafficking and prostitution.
- Sexual abuse means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force, or under unequal or coercive conditions. It includes sexual slavery, pornography, child abuse and sexual assault.
How to report misconduct or sexual exploitation and abuse?
If you are aware of, or have concerns or suspicions about a possible case of misconduct related to UNHCR, please report this to UNHCR via email at [email protected]
You can also report it directly to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at UNHCR Headquarters:
- Email: [email protected]
- Confidential fax: +41 22 739 7380
- Mail: UNHCR, 94 Rue de Montbrillant, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
Your report will be treated with discretion and kept strictly confidential. For further information, please see: https://www.unhcr.org/inspector-generals-office.html