All humanitarian assistance is provided free of charge.
Paying for assistance will not make you eligible for assistance.
Be aware that any UNHCR services offered to you in exchange for money are fraudulent.
Be alert to fraud
- Do not trust anyone or any organization asking you to pay for the services of UNHCR or its partners.
- Ask to see official ID cards of people claiming to be service providers before sharing your personal information and identify documents
- Avoid those offering you resettlement, financial or other kinds of assistance, fake documents, or fake claims in exchange for money or other favours. These offers may be made to you in person or via social media (including Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram or any other application).
- Those seeking to take advantage of your situation may show you false documents to persuade you that they are connected to UNHCR or another partner agency.
For reliable information about UNHCR Iraq’s work and services: consult UNHCR’s official websites, UNHCR Facebook page, and/or call the toll-free helpline.
Report suspected fraud
You should report cases of suspected fraud to UNHCR and/or the nearest police station immediately if:
- You are asked for money or any other form of favours, including of a sexual nature
- Your documents are taken away by an alleged service provider
To report cases of fraud committed by UNHCR or partner staff:
Directly contact the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at UNHCR Headquarters:
- Email: [email protected]
- Confidential fax: +41 22 739 7380
- Mail: UNHCR, 94 Rue de Montbrillant, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
To report cases of fraud committed by members of your community, NGO staff, or others without a contractual relationship with UNHCR:
- Email: [email protected], or
- Call Iraq Information Centre (IIC): toll-free at 80069999. All calls are confidential. The IIC can be reached 8:00 am – 6:00 pm (Sunday – Thursday) and 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (weekends and holidays). You can also request a call-back by sending ‘HELP’ and your phone number via SMS to 80069999, or via Facebook messenger (@IICInfo) and IIC operators will call you. Do not send details about your situation over the internet.
Your report will be treated with discretion and be kept strictly confidential.