I have questions about my and my family’s health and nutrition.

Anyone can approach the government’s public health facilities for treatment, including local dispensaries/ primary health centers and hospitals. If you face any problems accessing these facilities, please seek help from our relevant partners whose contact details can be found here.

No assistance can be provided for access to private medical facilities.

Pregnant women and children in age group 0-6 years can enrol with local Anganwadis for early learning, immunization, nutritional supplements etc.

All refugees and asylum seekers must request the government doctor to prescribe medicines which are free of cost (generic, non-branded) from the government’s pharmacy and prescribe medical exams/examinations/tests which are available in the government hospital for free.

Asylum seekers will have to bear their own cost for medicines, tests or any treatment cost even if it is in a government hospital.

Can I register the birth of my baby born in India?

Under Indian law, all births in India should be registered with Indian authorities. Birth notification documents should be collected for children born in hospitals which will help in registering the birth with the relevant local Indian offices and obtain a Birth Registration Certificate from the authorities like the registrar of Birth or Municipal Corporation which register births. Children born at home should be registered with the local health center through the Government Community Health Workers, through the Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA) or the Auxiliary Nurse Midwife within two days of the birth. This deadline is important since delays can lead to a number of difficulties. For mother and child’s safety all are encouraged to go for hospital delivery but whether the child is born in the hospital or at home, ensure that you register the birth and receive the Birth Registration Certificate. For support registering the birth of your child, please contact UNHCR partners. Their contact details are here.

In Delhi, birth certificates are issued by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and/or the Delhi Cantonment Board, within 7 days from the date of receipt of the application, if the birth has already been registered. The certificates are issued from the registration centers/ zonal offices of the local bodies.

I am facing serious security issues in India. What should I do?

  • UNHCR advises you to approach the police in the event of any security threat. You can call the emergency number 100 for immediate support from the police or 1091 for the women’s helpline or 1098 for the child line.
  • In case you wish to lodge a police complaint but are facing problems in doing so within Delhi NCR, you can contact SLIC for assistance at 011-24379855 or 011-24374501 or 011-45705649/ 011-45705654, or email at [email protected].
  • You can also share your concern with UNHCR via email at [email protected], our toll free number 1800-1035635 or by calling the contact numbers below on the following days:


Days Timing Contact Numbers
Monday 3:00- 5:00 PM +91-9599229502+91-9599226639
Thursday 3:00- 5:00 PM
Friday 3:00- 5:00 PM
  • In case of any emergency beyond office hours (09:00 to 17:30), please contact UNHCR at our toll free number: 1800-1035635
  • Please note that SLIC can only facilitate access to information and linkages to appropriate legal authorities. It may not be able to directly intervene on legal issues.

Can I get livelihood assistance?

If you are a refugee and would like to access self-reliance opportunities, you are encouraged to seek support from your community. UNHCR’s partner organizations Action Aid, BOSCO, Fair Trade Forum-India (FTF-I) and Save the Children International (SCI) are able to support a small number of refugees with self-reliance related activities such as Vocational Trainings, On the Job Trainings, assistance with small scale business & guidance on labour market opportunities etc.

Action Aid operates in Aligarh, Mathura & Mewat; BOSCO in Delhi & NCR; FTF-I in Delhi, Mewat & Jaipur and SCI in Hyderabad.

Locations and contact details of all our partners are listed here.


How can I be helped to trace my family and restore contact with them?

The office of the International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) in Delhi may be able to help you in tracing your family members and restore your contact with them. Their office in Delhi is located at C-6/ 6, Safdarjung Development Area, Hauz Khas Enclave, Hauz Khas, New Delhi -110016, Phone Number 42211000. You can also visit the ICRC Tracing Portal