Resettlement and other options

All of UNHCR’s services are free of charge, if anyone requests any form of payment in return for services, this should be reported to UNHCR immediately.

What is Resettlement?

Resettlement is the transfer from the first country that a refugee flees to (i.e. India), to another country which has screened the case and agreed to admit the individual/family and provide permanent residence (the Resettlement State).

Resettlement is a process which results in a permanent third country solution for refugees who have no option to integrate locally or return to their home country and have protection needs in the country where they stay.

Resettlement is available for refugees whose life, liberty, safety, health or fundamental human rights are at risk in the country where they sought refuge.

How are refugees identified for resettlement?

UNHCR identifies refugees for resettlement in accordance with resettlement categories based on their protection needs. Resettlement States set the criteria which determine which refugees will be admitted to their country.

Refugees do not apply for resettlement. Cases are identified through the data and information that is shared with the office at the registration level, as well as information gathered by partners and during home visits.

Identification for resettlement is not linked to the date of registration with the office, nationality or any other profile.

UNHCR identifies refugees based on their protection needs and continuously reviews the situation of highly vulnerable families to assess whether they meet resettlement criteria.

Resettlement is not a right and is not available to everyone granted refugee status. Places are limited and Resettlement States choose how many refugees to resettle.

You can provide UNHCR with updates on your circumstances through toll-free number 1800-1035635 (India), or 9810173130, or 7303154009 or email [email protected]

If your case enters the resettlement process, UNHCR will contact you.


Complementary Pathways 

Complementary pathways are safe and regulated avenues that complement refugee resettlement and by which refugees may be admitted to a country and have their international protection needs met while they are able to support themselves to potentially reach a sustainable and lasting solution. 

The following are options that can be explored: 

Labour Mobility: 

Talent Beyond Boundaries (TBB):

TBB connects refugees with international employment opportunities so that they may obtain a working permit linked with permanent resident status for the worker/employee and their family members in countries where they can access full rights and stability. You may visit Please select “For Job Seekers” to see more information on your suitability. 

In addition, you can also contact UNHCR’s partner BOSCO New Delhi office. Email: [email protected] PHONE: (+91) 8218009765. 

Refugee and humanitarian program (Australia) 

The Special Humanitarian Program (SHP) 

To be eligible to apply for a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) through the Special Humanitarian Program you must be: 

  • outside Australia (offshore) 
  • living outside your home country 
  • subject to substantial discrimination in your home country amounting to a gross violation of your human rights. 
  • proposed sponsored by an Australian citizen or Permanent resident, or an organization based in Australia. 

You may visit: 

Links to the forms and details on the application process can be found through the Department of Home Affairs website – 

Once all documentation is prepared and forms are completed and signed, the sponsor/proposer must lodge the application via email through the following link: 

For those unable to lodge their applications by email, completed applications may be sent to: 

Special Humanitarian Processing Centre Department of Home Affairs GPO Box 9984 SYDNEY NSW 2001 


Canada’s immigration system allows individuals and groups in Canada to support the resettlement of refugees through private sponsorship, community sponsorship, employers to hire skilled refugees through economic immigration programs, and families of refugees to be reunited through family reunification scheme. 

For information please visit: 

In terms of Family Reunification here: 

In terms of the Private Sponsorship Programmes and others find the information here: 

For the application process: 

United States of America 

Form I-730 

You can start the process by filing a Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. Filing instructions and forms are available on our Web site at 

Who are the relatives for whom I may file? 

If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee or were granted asylum less than 2 years ago, you may file an I-730 for the following relatives: 

• Husband or wife; 

• Unmarried children who were under age 21 at the time you were admitted as a refugee or granted asylum in the United States.