Where to apply for asylum?

Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is Canada’s largest independent administrative tribunal. It is responsible for making well-reasoned decisions on immigration and refugee matters, efficiently, fairly and in accordance with the law. Once you made your asylum claim with the authorities (IRCC or CBSA), the IRB will decide your asylum claim and if you qualify for refugee protection in Canada.

Telephone: +1-613-995-6486
Website: http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/Pages/index.aspx
Address: 344 Slater Street, 12th Floor, Ottawa, ON Canada K1A 0K1
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Regional offices:

Eastern Region: Montreal

Address: 200 René-Lévesque Boulevard West, Guy Favreau Complex, East Tower, Room 102, Montreal, Quebec H2Z 1X4
Telephone: +1-514-283-7733 or +1-866-626-8719

Central Region: Toronto

Address: 74 Victoria Street, Suite 400, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 3C7
Telephone: 1-416-954-1000

Western Region: Vancouver

Address: Suite 1600, Library Square, 300 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6B 6C9
Telephone: 1-604-666-5946 or 1-866-787-7472

Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton

Telephone: 1-866-787-7472 or 1-604-666-5946

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), a department of the Canadian government, facilitates your asylum claim in Canada if you had not made a claim at the Port of Entry. If an asylum claim has not been made at the Port of Entry, a so-called in-country asylum claim may be made at an IRCC office in Canada. If you have made an asylum claim and are in need of a work permit an application must be made with IRCC.

Telephone: + 1-888-242-2100
Website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/inside/apply-how.asp
Opening hours: Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

The CBSA delivers a variety of programs and services. Some are designed to help travelers and trade enter Canada smoothly, while others focus on enforcing laws and ensuring the safety and security of our borders. If you have made an asylum claim at the airport, land border or crossed irregularly into Canada they will be the government organization that will start the processing of your asylum claim.

Calls within Canada
Toll-free +1-800-461-9999
Calls outside Canada
Long distance charges apply
Email: [email protected]