Seeking asylum in Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic

Please note that the situation is quickly evolving, and that while UNHCR will endeavour to update the below information regularly, asylum-seekers should also verify the information with Government authorities.

Latest update: 18 August 2021

For those intending on claiming asylum in Canada

For those travelling to Canada by plane

The Canadian government has applied restrictions to air travel, effective 18 March 2020. Subject to limited exceptions, air carriers are required to deny boarding to any person who is not a Canadian/ American citizen or permanent resident, unless that person has resided in the U.S. for the past 14 days.

Links to information:

If you fall under one of the exceptions and arrive at a Canadian airport, procedures for making a refugee claim remain unchanged, but quarantine or isolation measures will apply. As of 21 February 2021, all travellers entering Canada must follow testing and quarantine requirements. Find out more about mandatory quarantine or isolation on the Government of Canada’s website.

Also, air travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship and status of vaccination, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test taken up to 72 hours before their scheduled departure time. Find out more details on the requirements checklist on the Government of Canada’s website.

Certain travellers who are fully vaccinated and eligible to enter Canada are exempted from the quarantine measures. Find out more details on COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada on the Government of Canada’s website.


As of 21 November 2020, you must use ArriveCAN before checking in at the airport or crossing the border to submit your:

  • Travel and contact information;
  • Quarantine plan and/or vaccination status
  • COVID-19 symptom self-assessment.

Please bring your ArriveCAN receipt (electronic or paper) with you to show the border services officer upon arrival.

Find out the latest travel advice from Health Canada for travellers arriving in Canada.

For those coming to Canada through a land border

If you make a refugee claim at an official land port of entry

The refugee process at official land ports of entry remains unchanged. Under the Canada–U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement (STCA), persons coming to Canada from the U.S. cannot make a refugee claim at official Canadian border posts unless they qualify for an exception to the Agreement. Learn more about who can claim asylum at the border and how to prove your links to family members in Canada.

If you are considering coming through the Southern Ontario region, this map of refugee support agencies located on both sides of the border (in the U.S. and in Canada) may be of assistance to you. While we try to provide only links to useful, reputable and safe websites, we have no control over the information provided by this site. This link does not imply a recommendation by UNHCR for all the services referenced on the site. Content may change without notice and may happen before we have the opportunity to remove a link. UNHCR assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided.

If you make a refugee claim upon crossing the border in-between official border posts

The Canadian government has applied border restrictions, effective 21 March 2020. Asylum-seekers who enter Canada irregularly in-between official land border posts will temporarily be sent back to the United States and be able to come back at the Canadian border once the measure is lifted.

The above-mentioned restrictions do not apply to asylum-seekers who are:

  • American citizens;
  • Unaccompanied minors who do not have a parent (father, mother or legal guardian) in the United States and have neither a spouse or a common-law partner; and
  • Habitual residents of the United States who are not citizens of any country (“stateless persons”).

Read section 5 of the Order for the list of exceptions regarding asylum claims made at the border. Asylum-seekers allowed to enter Canada to pursue their claim will be requested to self-isolate for 14 days if not fully vaccinated.

If you crossed between land ports of entry at the Canadian border since March 2020 and were sent back to the U.S

The government is asking that you update your contact information so they can reach out to you about continuing your asylum claim in Canada.

You can reach out to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and call 1-833-995-0002, Monday to Friday between 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (Atlantic Standard Time) to provide up to date contact information that will be used to schedule your return. Learn more here.

For those who are already in Canada

You can make a refugee claim at an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) inland office. But IRCC is no longer receiving refugee claims in person until further notice. You are required instead to send your request by email to: [email protected]. You will receive an automated reply requesting additional information.

Once your request has been received and processed, you will receive an Acknowledgement of Claim document by email. This document serves as proof that you have made a refugee claim and that you have medical coverage (Interim Federal Health Program coverage). Once your application is complete and verified by an immigration officer, you will be giving instruction to complete your immigration medical examination and schedule you for an interview. Learn more about how to submit a refugee claim in Canada on IRCC’s website.

If you already had an interview scheduled with IRCC that was cancelled because of COVID-19 or had submitted a refugee claim by email or at an IRCC office drop box between 16 March and 7 July 2020, IRCC will be reaching out to you to schedule an appointment. Find out more details on the gradual resumption of in-person services on IRCC’s website.

For those who have a pending asylum application before the Immigration Refugee Board (IRB)

Temporary extensions of time granted for the Basis of Claim form

If you claimed asylum at a port of entry (airport, official border post), the IRB has extended the deadline to provide the Basis of Claim (BOC) form, an important document where you explain why you are afraid to go back to your home country:

  • If your claim was transferred to the IRB between 4 July and 28 August 2020, you will have until 12 October 2020 to give your completed Basis of Claim (BOC) form to the IRB;
  • If your claim was transferred to the IRB on or after 29 August 2020, you will have 45 days to give your completed Basis of Claim (BOC) form to the IRB.

For all other claims, the usual 15-day time limit applies. Read the practice notice on the temporary extension of time limits for filing the Basis of Claim form on the IRB’s website.

Virtual hearings

The Refugee Protection Division (RPD) is now scheduling virtual hearings for all refugee protection claims. That said, any claimants who prefer to have their hearing from an IRB office can advise the RPD of this when their claim is scheduled and the RPD will book an on-site hearing for them. The Member presiding over the hearing ultimately retains the discretion to determine the location of the hearing if there are reasons why it may be inappropriate for a given claim to proceed virtually. Find out more about the IRB’s measures related to COVID-19 on the IRB’s website.

Submission of documents

Even though the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada offices resumed operations, in-person correspondence will not be accepted until further notice. You can provide the RDP with documents by mail, by fax, or electronically. Read the instructions on sending correspondence on the IRB’s website.

For those filing an appeal before the Refugee Appeal Division of the Immigration Refugee Board (IRB)

Temporary extensions of time granted

Effective 19 August 2020, the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) of the Immigration Refugee Board (IRB) reinstates the time limits for filing a notice of appeal or perfecting an appeal that were temporarily suspended on 15 March 2020. This means that a notice of appeal or appellant’s record due between 1 January 2020 to 18 August 2020 inclusive, must be submitted to the RAD by 19 August 2020. Read the practice notice on resumption of time limits at the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) on the IRB’s website.

Hearings postponed

As of 2 November 2020, the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) will now schedule virtual hearings for all appeals that require a hearing. Appellants or their representatives will be asked to confirm their availability for the proposed hearing date and can request an in-person hearing if they have specific concerns with holding the hearing virtually. The RAD will consider these requests on a case-by-case basis. Find out more about the IRB’s measures related to COVID-19 on the IRB’s website.

Submission of documents

Currently, you are able to provide the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) with documents by mail, fax, email or ePost Connect. In-person correspondence will not be accepted until further notice. The RAD will use Canada Post’s epost Connect to exchange documents electronically with registered users. Read the instructions on sending correspondence on the IRB’s website.

For those applying for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is still accepting Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) applications at this time. You also have now the option to submit and communicate about your application online. Find out more about PRRA application deadlines on IRCC’s website.

For those awaiting a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) hearing, your hearing may be held either:

  • On site at an IRCC office;
  • Remotely, via videoconference.

An IRCC officer will determine if a remote hearing is appropriate in your case.

Detained persons

Precautionary measures have been taken to limit the risk of virus contamination.

Please note the Immigration Division’s (ID) intention to resume in-person hearings on 14 September 2020. Detention reviews and detained admissibility hearings will continue to be conducted primarily by teleconference until further notice due to ongoing health-related restrictions on the transportation of detainees and limitations on access to detention facilities. Read the practice notice on the resumption of in-person hearings on the IRB’s website.

For those who lost their income due to COVID-19

The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are directly affected by COVID-19 and are not entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) benefits. The CRB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you are eligible for the CRB, you can receive $1,000 ($900 after taxes withheld) for a 2-week period. Find out more about the eligibility criteria and the application process on the Government of Canada’s website.

Processing of refugee claims and appeals for individuals applying under the Government of Canada’s special measure

The Government of Canada announced that, starting 14 December 2020, it will be accepting applications for permanent residence from pending and unsuccessful refugee claimants who worked in Canada’s health care sector and provided direct care to patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the practice notice on Refugee Protection Division (RPD) and Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) processing for individuals applying under public policies from the Government of Canada.

Medical assistance

Access to COVID-19 clinics for free contagion testing is open to all people regardless of immigration status.

The Interim Federal Health Program coverage covers all diagnostic tests and treatments for COVID-19, as well as any other medical situation (with rare exceptions).

For medical assistance about COVID-19, you can reach the following numbers:

  • 1-833-784-4397 (federal information line)
  • 1-877-644-4545 (Québec)
  • 1-866-797-0000 (Ontario)
  • 1-888-268-4319 (British Colombia)
  • 1-888-315-9257 (Manitoba)
  • 1-811 (Alberta)
  • 1-811 (Saskatchewan)

Find out the latest information from the Government of Canada on COVID-19.

For more information on additional supports and up-to-date resources in your local community, please refer to your local Public Health Units or municipal information sites.